microsoft money 2001 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft money 2001 for many years in XP. Have now windows 7 the money disk loads OK but when I try to load the back up it will not open coming up with incorrect password.  Anybody help please? 
    Monday, July 14, 2014 11:07 AM

All replies

• One reason for this (very unhelpful) error message  is that you actually upgraded from Money 2001 at some time in the past.  The Money 2001 from your disk will not open a later version's file.  If you still have Money running on your XP machine you can check the version with Help>About Microsoft Money.  Money 2001 was version 9.0.

I suggest downloading and installing the appropriate version of Money for your region from the second "sticky" post in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Let us know if this works.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:23 PM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Does the disk you are installing from say Money 2001? I don't expect Money 2001 to work right with 64-bit Windows 7. I don't know what the symptom would be. If you copy the Sample.mny file from the Microsoft Money install folder to your documents folder, can you open that file and have it work currently? If so, maybe you could remove the password from your old file and see if that works. Even then, I would not count on it.

If you had the old computer still, you could take the password off of your Money 2001 file before trying things on the new computer.

You could switch the new computer to 32-bit Windows 7. It may not be easy, and it would only use about 3.5 gig of your RAM.  You could use the a link from the second posting in this forum to switch to the version of Money appropriate to your country that will work with 64-bit Windows.

Monday, July 14, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Bill,

Thanks a lot did what you said and everything works a treat! good to have people like you about. Thanks again

Little old Oldham lad

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:16 AM
  • I think you probably updated a version of Microsoft Works and did not realise that a version of Money later than 2001 was installed with it.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Works#Works_for_Microsoft_Windows .

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:21 PM