How timesheet approval works? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

Can any one provide me some insights on the below scenarios

1) Is there any setting, where the resource manager cannot be able to approve/reject the time sheet lines, but they can only approve it at the timesheet level.

'

2) If manager approves few timesheet entries and rejects remaining timesheet entries in approval page, then resource should get the timesheet In Progress mode, but in my case resource is getting timesheet as approved, please provide some information on how it works

Thanks & Regards
    Ravishankar Polepalli (MCP,MCC)
    Microsoft Dynamics, Project Server and SharePoint Server Consultant
    ravi.polepalli@gmail.com

Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:16 PM

Answers

• Resource Manager (Time sheet Manager) will approve or reject the Time sheet and not the lines inside time sheet.

Status manager for those tasks will approve or reject the individual lines in their respective Approval Center received as Status Updates.

Abhijeet

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:23 PM

All replies

• The timesheet lines normally go to the "Status Manager" of the task. So if the status manager, resource manager, timesheet manager are all the same, then they approve all.
    • My guess is that, in this case the resource himself is also the Timesheet manager. hence the automatic approval. On the timesheet settings page, check the box that says "Line approval required". Once you check that, the timesheet will not be submitted until all individual lines are approved.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:43 PM
  • I was asking about is there any setting which prohibits managers to approve at line item level of timesheet. I mean managers should be able to approve at the time sheet level.

Thanks & Regards
    ravi.polepalli@gmail.com

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Ravishankar --

No, there is no setting where the Project Server administrator can prohibit a manager from approving timesheet lines individually while still being able to approve an entire timesheet.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Ravishanker,

The specific setting that allows/prevents accepting task update requests is the category permission, "Accept Task Update Requests".

Hopefully that answers your question.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:30 PM
  • My issue is that,

I submitted my timesheet and my resource manager can see the my timesheet in the approval page.

When he opens to see the details of the my timesheet, it shows a check box against each timesheet entry. If in the page there 10 tasks and approver selects 5 and click on Approve, the entire timesheet is getting approved.

If the entire timesheet is getting approved after selecting few tasks, why the check boxes are given to select few of them. Is there any way we can hide the check boxes when the manager open the My Timesheet page.

Thanks & Regards
    ravi.polepalli@gmail.com

Friday, September 7, 2012 2:47 PM
  • 1. Are you operating in Single Entry mode?. If yes then the time sheet will go to the user's Time sheet Manager which in your case you are referring as Resource Manager which can be only one person for a resource in Project Server. This can be set from edit user page from Server Settings.

2. The Resource Manager can approve/reject resources overall time sheet

3. The tasks on which the user has filled in time in that particular time sheet will go to the Status Manager for approval. i.e. If user is entering hours in time sheet against a task called Task A from Project X then open Project X in Project Professional and add a column called Status Manager. All hours entered against Task A will go this person.

4. So a resource can have only one Time sheet manager and multiple Status Managers

5. On your another question where you have asked weather the time sheet can come in "In Progress" mode if any of the time sheet line is rejected, then the answer is No. There is no such OOB feature. User will need to recall time sheet manually. 

Hope I am able to answer what you are looking for.

Abhijeet

Friday, September 7, 2012 3:58 PM
  • If the Resource Manager is not able to approve/ reject a single line item in the timesheet once it is approved, where there is a check box available while approving it after every line item. Please look into the below screen shot

Thanks & Regards
    ravi.polepalli@gmail.com

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Resource Manager (Time sheet Manager) will approve or reject the Time sheet and not the lines inside time sheet.

Status manager for those tasks will approve or reject the individual lines in their respective Approval Center received as Status Updates.

Abhijeet

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:23 PM
  • If you see my screen shot, i have opened the Resource My Timesheet submitted to a project manager from the approval center.

Why the checkboxes are coming for resource manager on the approval center, when the resource manager just want to see the details of the submitted resource timesheet.

Can anyone please provide some details about it?

Thanks & Regards
    ravi.polepalli@gmail.com

Monday, September 10, 2012 1:02 PM