How do I delete a corrupted backup database / catalog RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm running into the common issue where 3 services fail.  And any attempts to restart them result in them simply failing again:

Windows Server Identity Management service
    Windows Server Initialization service
    Windows Server Server Backup Service

I've tried the wiki workaround outlined below, to no avail:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6828.server-backup-service-exception.aspx

My problem being...clearing the event logs still doesn't result in any of these services being able to run.  And if they won't run, I can't re-run the backup configuration wizard (which is the last step in that workaround).

I've run chkdsk and all my disks are fine. 

All my research has let me to belive that somehow, I have a corrupt backup database / catalog.  i've found a couple threads/posts that say "delete it, then reconfigure".  But I can't seem to find any information on how to actually delete the backup database / catalog.  What directory do I need to clear out?  What files should I remove?  etc.

ANY help on how to do this would be appreciated.

I don't mind loosing all my backups, so I'm not worried about that.

• Edited by skeetyborphus Monday, March 18, 2013 4:19 PM bad link
    Monday, March 18, 2013 4:18 PM

Answers

• I did say with /R rather than just running chkdsk, which is what you stated. Not sure why your server backup drive has a letter assigned - WHS, by default, does not do so.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:06 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 11:15 PM

All replies

• You did run Chkdsk /r on all your disks? Try removing your Server backup disk from Server backups and reconnecting - it should ask if you want to retain your old Server backups.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:42 PM
  • First off, thanks for the reply.

As I stated in the original post, I had run chkdsk.  But thanks.

It turns out, an external drive I'd had plugged in temporarily, had been assigned (from another machine) the same exact drive letter as my backup volume.  I unplugged the drive, and viola...all my backup issues cleared up.

Weird that WHS wouldn't realize the drive i just connected has a drive letter conflict, and assign it a new letter...but hey.  What do I know?

Thanks again.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:40 PM
  • I did say with /R rather than just running chkdsk, which is what you stated. Not sure why your server backup drive has a letter assigned - WHS, by default, does not do so.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:06 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 11:15 PM