Money 2002 (Australia) asking for password RRS feed

• Question

• I have migrated my Money 2002 (OEM) files from XP to new computer running Windows 7 Home Premium.  Money 2002 will not open on new computer - asking for password.  Money 2002 opens OK on old XP computer and does not ask for password.  I have never had a password for my Money 2002 files/program.  How do I open my Money 2002 program/files on my new Win 7 computer?  NOTE: I live in Australia and am using Microsotf Money 2002 (OEM).
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:42 AM

All replies

• Your old install was probably a version of Money later than the one you just installed. The newer version gives a bogus password error message when presented with a to-new *.mny file. Help->About will identify the Money version. Money 2002 is version 10.

To solve this, on the new computer you will want to go to the first posting shown on the forum, and download the Money 2005 International English version. That should be able to open your *.mny file from your old computer. Keep the installation file in case you want to reinstall in the future.

Review your backup policies. Allow for possible disk failure. You might do youru scheduled backup to a USB flash drive. That drive, oddly, must have less than 2 GB of freespace. Keep different vintages of  backups; don't overwrite a good backup with a backup of corrupted data.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:40 AM