validation errors RRS feed

• Question

• After two years of no problems with factory installed windows xp on my emachine I am suddenly having problems with the WGA validation. And it is not letting me check for any updates.

First I go to the regular update page and it redirects me to a Genuine Windows Validation page with an error code of Support ID: 0x8DDD100F.

That page redirects me to a new page with the message Windows Validation Error and an error code 0x80080101, and requests to "Validate Again."
    This redirects me to a new page with the message "Running the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" and suggests running an alternate method which when I select "Validate Now" popsup the download legitcheck.hta file.

I then run that and receive the message "Validation Not Completed: ActiveX Error" with error 0x80080296.

Then I select the option to "click here" to learn more and it brings up a "Start Diagnostic" button which passes everything except for freezing on  "checking Windows validation ActiveX loaded ".

I've tried changing my TCP/IP setting to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 with no luck

Is their a fix for this nagging problem. I've already spent hours looking for an answer. This started happening after automatically downloading new critical updates but just before they installed.

Here's the info from MGA diag.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J8BM6-MXPH6-3R2BW
    Windows Product Key Hash: YMRVitCEjlJfwDQfjDvm97FbWA4=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00103
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 6d16d840-d205-44be-a77a-e4ab283ee886
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>6d16d840-d205-44be-a77a-e4ab283ee886</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3R2BW</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00103</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2684142510-1998719105-690696425</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GATEWAY                        </Manufacturer><Model>T4010                          </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>BF86510A.15A.0085.P20.0412152353</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041215000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Gateway,Gateway,Gateway,Gateway</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>CB6034E70184806D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>eMachines</name><model>T4010</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17704</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:44 AM

Answers

• Microsoft Genuine Advantage – Diagnostic Site: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/default.aspx
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:01 AM
  •  

Did that, here's the results. It freezes on the fifth item and doesn't offer to resolve.

What is the purpose of this site?

These diagnostic pages will help you ensure that your Internet Explorer (5.01 or later) settings are configured properly to see images, run scripts, and allow ActiveX controls to download and run.

You will be walked through the troubleshooting process step by step. If your configuration settings are not correct, you will be provided with suggestions to resolve the problem. If your problem persists, you will be provided with information about where you can obtain additional assistance.

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed ActiveX enabled
    Checking Windows validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Office validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded

Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:37 AM
  • Tucow,

Maybe there's a problem with the active-x control.  Let's try the stand-alone installer to get the latest version of the active-x control installed:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69479

Let us know!

Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:19 PM
  •  

Tried the WindowsXP-KB892130-ENU-x86.exe stand alone. Still the same problem.

I never get the Internet Explorer Information Bar . I've set all the security permission to allow activeX, shutdown zonealarm and stop my antivirus software. Nothing helps.

Funny how I can download windows software by going to specific pages and validate using a popup window that has a code (9FCW6FH9) I then copy and paste into the provided validate point.

Genuine Windows Validation Continued

We were unable to successfully validate your Windows installation. Please try validating again using the alternate method explained in the steps below.

1. Run the validation tool.

Click Continue to launch the validation tool. When prompted, click Open or Run this program from its current location. The tool will collect information about your computer hardware and software that will determine whether your Windows installation is genuine and provide you with a code that you will use in Step 2 below. It does not collect or send any information that can be used to identify you or contact you. Please read the Windows Genuine Advantage program FAQ to learn more about what information is collected, why it is needed, and how it is used.

2. Enter your validation code.

Copy and paste or type the code provided in Step 1 into the box below. Then click Validate.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Tucow,

May I suggest opening up a free email WGA tech support request at this link?  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:29 PM
  •  

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pursuing a remedy that way too. When things don't work right it nags at me until it's solved.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Tucow,

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP Professional and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and versions of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Windows XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.
    First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the blocked PID status. Demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs/upgrades and was the hard drive reformatted?   In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation or reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:57 PM

All replies

• Microsoft Genuine Advantage – Diagnostic Site: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/default.aspx
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:01 AM
  •  

Did that, here's the results. It freezes on the fifth item and doesn't offer to resolve.

What is the purpose of this site?

These diagnostic pages will help you ensure that your Internet Explorer (5.01 or later) settings are configured properly to see images, run scripts, and allow ActiveX controls to download and run.

You will be walked through the troubleshooting process step by step. If your configuration settings are not correct, you will be provided with suggestions to resolve the problem. If your problem persists, you will be provided with information about where you can obtain additional assistance.

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed ActiveX enabled
    Checking Windows validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Office validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded

Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:37 AM
  • Tucow,

Maybe there's a problem with the active-x control.  Let's try the stand-alone installer to get the latest version of the active-x control installed:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69479

Let us know!

Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:19 PM
  •  

Tried the WindowsXP-KB892130-ENU-x86.exe stand alone. Still the same problem.

I never get the Internet Explorer Information Bar . I've set all the security permission to allow activeX, shutdown zonealarm and stop my antivirus software. Nothing helps.

Funny how I can download windows software by going to specific pages and validate using a popup window that has a code (9FCW6FH9) I then copy and paste into the provided validate point.

Genuine Windows Validation Continued

We were unable to successfully validate your Windows installation. Please try validating again using the alternate method explained in the steps below.

1. Run the validation tool.

Click Continue to launch the validation tool. When prompted, click Open or Run this program from its current location. The tool will collect information about your computer hardware and software that will determine whether your Windows installation is genuine and provide you with a code that you will use in Step 2 below. It does not collect or send any information that can be used to identify you or contact you. Please read the Windows Genuine Advantage program FAQ to learn more about what information is collected, why it is needed, and how it is used.

2. Enter your validation code.

Copy and paste or type the code provided in Step 1 into the box below. Then click Validate.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Tucow,

May I suggest opening up a free email WGA tech support request at this link?  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:29 PM
  •  

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pursuing a remedy that way too. When things don't work right it nags at me until it's solved.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Tucow,

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP Professional and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and versions of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Windows XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.
    First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the blocked PID status. Demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Curious was your computer turned in for repairs/upgrades and was the hard drive reformatted?   In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation or reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:57 PM
  •  

Stephen, are you sure about the Windows XP Professional "software counterfeiting" messages. I haven't seen any messages like that and I don't have XP Professional. My Windows XP Home Edition is the one that came with the computer. The only changes I've made are adding more ram and an additional harddrive. I did notice the Office installation has the blocked VLK message and will remove it.

Still, why would that interfere with validating the operating system when I select "Validate Windows" here http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/WhyValidate.aspx?displaylwindowsang=en . I only began having this problem when I tried to manually check for updates recently while at the same time automatic updates were trying to install.

I have noticed something I believe is significant. When I checked for the add-on "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" to see if it was enabled it was missing. However both the LegitCheckControl.dll and .inf files are in their proper places and register and install properly. I think the register got corrupted somehow but I am at a loss to fix it.

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Tucow,

Usually these type of messages will pop up if you have a blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) for the operating systems. I apologize for the mistake. Yes your right Office has a blocked Key.   

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Tucow,

If you were able to "Validate Windows" at the Diagnostic Site, but you are still having problems with the Windows Update site, there may be a problem with the Windows Update files, on your computer. Try the below steps:

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: cmd  <click OK>

3) In the command prompt, type the following command: Net stop wuauserv  <press Enter>

4) In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows and delete the Softwaredistribution folder.

5) In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and delete the Softwaredistribution folder.

6) Back at the command prompt, type the following:  Net start wuauserv <press Enter>

7) reboot and try Windows Update again.

(note: the next time Windows Update does a scan for updates, the Softwaredistribution folders (and the included files) will be recreated)

Please let us know if this works Tucow :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:00 PM
  •  

Stephen,

I followed steps 1 thru 7 exactly but it made no difference. The "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" is still missing from the add on windows.  However LegitCheckControl.dll and inf, and data.dat are all in their proper places.

I think I should clarify. I could not validate at the diagnostic site but I could  validate when I tried to download a file that required validation via a popup code that I copied and pasted into the current microsoft web page.

Isn't the "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" activeX control just the LegitCheckContol.dll that I have and why wouldn't it show in either of the add-on windows or the downloaded programs files folder with all the other activex controls.

I heard from the wga support site one time, tried some things with Legit.... that didn't work. And then haven't heard back from them for  three days.

tucow

I've also noticed with Belarc Advisor a recent cascade of hotfixes that are showing the need to be reinstalled. Something that I've not experienced before to this extent. I don't know if theirs a connection and didn't try any reinstalls until I've resolved this problem. The requested reinstalls are

KB929969 - refers to some activex issues beyond me

KB916281

KB918899

KB922760

KB925486

KB928090

KB929969

KB931768

KB933566

I tried to "restore" previous to these problems but restore said it couldn't do it and that it changed no files.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:44 PM
  •  

Interestingly, I rolled back a few of the last hotfixes and that cleared up all of the requested reinstalls by Belarc except for the KB929969. I then reinstalled KB929969 successfully and rechecked Belarc. Now it says the new install of KB929969 is ok but the previous version still needs to be reinstalled. My add/remove programs doesn't show the previous version though. Unfortunately, It didn't fix the missing "Windows Genuine Validation Tool".

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:41 AM
  • Tucow,

Are you having any luck with the email tech support?

Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:22 PM
  •  

I heard from them today but had no luck with the suggestions. I'll keep trying.

tucow

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:58 PM