How to Install Power Pack 1 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently install WHS from the MS DVD and would like to install PP1 before I have more than one drive to my server. I got the PP1 exe file and a word document from MS Connect site but didn't see or missed instructions to install it.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:44 PM

Answers

•  almostnone wrote:
    I recently install WHS from the MS DVD and would like to install PP1 before I have more than one drive to my server. I got the PP1 exe file and a word document from MS Connect site but didn't see or missed instructions to install it.

First, to clarify, the file you have is the beta version, not the final version.  (Some people, myself included, don't want to install beta software on a computer so I wanted to give you the head's up on that.)

Having said that, you need to logon to the server desktop and run it from there (either with a monitor, mouse and keyboard or through Remote Desktop Connection).  (Also, you will not be able to install the final version without uninstalling the beta version first.)

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:52 PM
  •  almostnone wrote:
    Understood. Thanks.

I would like to install it using RDC but I can not log on to the server from the client as I don't have the rights to "allow log on through terminal server". I haven't tried admin. Will admin work? Or, do I have to follow this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278433. I think I would need to connect a monitor to the server to follow this KB article.

Just use the administrator account.  The user name is Administrator and the password is your server password.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:01 PM
  •  almostnone wrote:
    Should the PP1 exe be run from a certain folder?

Some people have had issues running it from a share, so I would suggest running it from the desktop.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:06 PM

All replies

•  almostnone wrote:
    I recently install WHS from the MS DVD and would like to install PP1 before I have more than one drive to my server. I got the PP1 exe file and a word document from MS Connect site but didn't see or missed instructions to install it.

First, to clarify, the file you have is the beta version, not the final version.  (Some people, myself included, don't want to install beta software on a computer so I wanted to give you the head's up on that.)

Having said that, you need to logon to the server desktop and run it from there (either with a monitor, mouse and keyboard or through Remote Desktop Connection).  (Also, you will not be able to install the final version without uninstalling the beta version first.)

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Understood. Thanks.

I would like to install it using RDC but I can not log on to the server from the client as I don't have the rights to "allow log on through terminal server". I haven't tried admin. Will admin work? Or, do I have to follow this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278433. I think I would need to connect a monitor to the server to follow this KB article.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:59 PM
  •  almostnone wrote:
    Understood. Thanks.

Just use the administrator account.  The user name is Administrator and the password is your server password.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Should the PP1 exe be run from a certain folder?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  almostnone wrote:
    Should the PP1 exe be run from a certain folder?

Some people have had issues running it from a share, so I would suggest running it from the desktop.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:06 PM