ALL Client Dashboards Break after Installing Front Page Server Extensions in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS 2011 and multiple clients (Win 7 Pro and XP Pro SP3).

I did a clean install of WHS 2011 to my micro server on Saturday because I thought that I had broken my client dashboards by changing the workgroup name of my server. Everything worked after the clean install. I spent the last 2 days re-installing and re-configuring FPSE (from RTR) for IIS 7.5 on my server. I finally have Front Page Server Extensions fully working again. However, all of my CLIENT dashboards do not work. Everything else works (shared folders, launchpad, dashboard on server, etc...).

Does anyone know if something in the below list is interfering with the client dashboard? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

PS - I noticed that (when the client dashboards were working), a box immediately flashed open and close after clicking on the white "sign in" arrow to the right of the password. I do not see this activity now. The attempt fails after some time and indicates that the connection can not be made and to check that the server is connected to the network and powered on)

Required Role Services and Features (FOR FPSE)

• Web Server (IIS) Role Services:
      • Web Server
        • Common HTTP Features
          • Static Content
          • Default Document
          • Directory Browsing
          • HTTP Errors
        • Application Development
          • ISAPI Extensions
          • ISAPI Filters
        • Health and Diagnostics
          • HTTP Logging
          • Request Monitor
        • Security
          • Windows Authentication or Basic Authentication (I have both installed)
          • Request Filtering
        • Performance
          • Static Content Compression
      • Management Tools
        • IIS Management Console
        • IIS 6 Management Compatibility
          • IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
    • Features:
      • Windows Process Activation Service
        • Process Model

• Edited by ivmost dru Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:38 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 11:58 PM

Answers

• I am pleased to report that I was able to get everything working.
    My [blindly] barging around trying to get FPSE extensions to work must have caused an issue with the client dashboards.

I did a clean install of WHS 2011 and applied all updates.

I then did an install of FPSE (for IIS 7.5)  [taking backups along the way].
    I knew the required steps and settings much better this time around, I must not have stomped on the client dashboard!

Everything is working as expected.

Best regards, Dru

• Marked as answer by ivmost dru Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:40 PM
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to install the following hotfix to check the result:

The client-side package of Update Rollup 1 for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, for Windows Home Server 2011, and for Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials is available

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2554637

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Arthur, that update contains client-side fixes only, nothing for the server. And I doubt the server side of UR1 will have any effect on the use of Frontpage extensions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:51 PM
  • thank you for suggestions and for the clarification about the rollup. I was a bit confused when reading the KBs. I tried uninstalling and re-installing an update rollup for the server. but it did not change anything. I may do a fresh server install and then see where the installation of the FPSE breaks the client dashboards.

Best regards, Dru

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Can someone please tell me the mechanism used to communicate between the client dashboard and the WHS 2011 server?

All other features seem to be working fine (shared folders, launchpad, backups, dashboard on server, etc..)

None of my client dashboards are communicating with the server. It can not even retrieve the "password hint"

I also noticed that, when the dashboard is working properly,  a small screen flashes when signing in. When broken, the is no screen flash.

Best regards, Dru

• Edited by ivmost dru Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:43 PM
    • Merged by Sean Zhu - Monday, August 6, 2012 9:03 AM same issue
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 2:21 PM
  • I am pleased to report that I was able to get everything working.
    My [blindly] barging around trying to get FPSE extensions to work must have caused an issue with the client dashboards.

I did a clean install of WHS 2011 and applied all updates.

I then did an install of FPSE (for IIS 7.5)  [taking backups along the way].
    I knew the required steps and settings much better this time around, I must not have stomped on the client dashboard!

Everything is working as expected.

Best regards, Dru

• Marked as answer by ivmost dru Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:40 PM
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:40 PM