Power failure during One Care assigning a router IP address to my 2 computer home network. RRS feed

• Question

• Havn't had a power failure in years but one occured as One Care was trying to upgrade my WiFi or network security and assign a new IP address to my router (I think that is what One Care was trying to do).  Now the only other computer I have, my laptop, cannot get on the Internet.  My desktop, the main computer, can get on the internet.  I tried to fix it automatically using One Care Circle fix it program but received the message that the fix failed.  I tried a few other things that I thought made sense but nothing worked and I don't know that much about fixing such things.  I have a five year old Gigabyte motherboard with Windows XP.   I tried to delete and reintstall the laptop from my network and then reinstall the laptop but the One Care message said it could not delete the computer and to restart my computer, try again, and if the problem reoccures to contact One Care Help.  Frank C.       
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• Your router should have a reset button on the back. Depress the reset button for 30 seconds to reset to factory defaults (unsecured). Then use One Care to secure your wireless connection.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Your router should have a reset button on the back. Depress the reset button for 30 seconds to reset to factory defaults (unsecured). Then use One Care to secure your wireless connection.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:48 PM
  • I'll add that resetting the router with the switch on the router will reset it to factory default, as if you got it new from the store. You can then choose to let OneCare detect that the wireless network is unsecured or you can refer to the router documentation for how to connect to the router administration interface to configure security manually.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:50 PM
  • There is no button.  There are three sets of plugs.  A group of four plugs which only has the bright blue telephone wire going into it.  The second plug is just one plug with a gray telephone wire going into it.  The third plug is a power plug.  It is a D Link DI 524 router.  What if I just pull the power plug for 30 seconds, would that be the same thing?   Frank C. 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:40 PM
  • The DL 524 has a small hole on the back. Straighten a paper clip and insert it in the hole and when you feel some resistance press a little harder and hold for 30 seconds.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:55 PM
  • If you do not have the router documentation you can download it here as a pdf file - http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DI-524&rev=DI-524 and on page 5 or 6 is a photo of the back of the router showing the hole for router reset.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:14 PM
  •  

(I found the little tiny hole, had to look harder for a paper clip that was small enough-that is a small hole.   Resetting the router knocked out my internet connection on my desktop computer.  Finally got my internet connection back on my desktop computer.  Tried again to run a connection to my laptop, made a network floppy disk, etc.  Didn't work.  I am now at a small window titled Add A Network Place Wizard.  This small window tells me to "Type the address of the Website, FTP site, or network location that this shortcut will open."  I do not know what they mean.  Its funny.  Somehow I set up this network all by myself long time ago and things were working fine for a very long time.  Now I cannot get back in the same lucky groove.  A power failure during the time Windows One Care was resetting my router address-I get a power failure in my house about once every two years.  Wish I could hit the same odds in winning the lottery. 
    Anyway, so what info should I put in that little window of the Add A Network Place Wizard?   Frank C. )

O.K., I sent the above message over a day ago but I guess it didn't take.  When I logged on today the above message was not listed.  So, where am I now?  My laptop now shows an icon that is named Wireless Network Connection 2 (OneCare_3386) in the Network Connections window but this icon or connection does not show on my main computer, the desktop.  What should I do?  The situation remains the same inasmuch I can go on the internet with my desktop but cannot go on the internet with my laptop even though the laptop is the computer that shows a One Care connection.  This connection by the way, shows that the signal is excellent at 54Mbps but that it is "not connected."  I've tried adding this connection to my desktop but have been unable to do so. 

The destop connections listed for LAN or High-speed Internet is:  1.  Local area connection, connected/Realtek RTL8139/810xFamily Fast-connected at 100Mbps.   and   2.  1394 Connection,Connected/ 1394 Net Adapter. 
    Frank C. 

Friday, July 31, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Wireless connections will not be seen on your desktop unless it has a wireless adapter installed but this is of no consequence. On your laptop click on the network connection icon in the notification area and you should see a list of available wireless network connections. You should see one called D-Link with a yellow exclamation point. This should be your router, select connect, select always connect to this network. You should now have internet access. Your connection is not secure so you should configure wireless security. You can configure it manually by following the steps in the user manual.

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:48 PM
  • I do not have a wireless network connection called D-Link on my laptop in the Network Connections window-Only on my desktop, in Network Places>Local Network>D-Link Router. 
    In Network Connections on my laptop there is an icon  Frank C.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:52 PM
  • I think it would be best to work with support to help resolve this for you. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:47 PM