WHS Vail Client Computer always in offline mode when online. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, encountering an interesting issue in my test lab. I have a number of client computers working fine. However, one particular client will connect and install the connector software fine and will be listed as a client computer member. The issue is that it always appears offline even though its online and can in fact connect to the dashboard on the WHS and still look like its offline. I am stumped to why WHS Vail is not detecting it online...  all machines are windows 7 enterprise
    Friday, September 10, 2010 6:55 PM

Answers

• Has there been a bug filed for this specific to "Windows Server Health Service" stopping for no apparent reason?
    You could submit one …

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:14 PM

All replies

• I have had this issue for a week now. It was working perfectly but now every time I look at it in Dashboard it shows it as "offline".

I have left it this way to see what would happen with the backups and so forth. For a week it has backed up without issue, every night.

I collected logs when this first happened and will collect them again before posting them to a bug stating this.

The only thing that corrects it is rebooting the client that is having the issue. I don't shut this computer down at all just put it to sleep at night so from the information that I am seeing it might be related to once it has gone to sleep and then brought back it appears offline.

I am continuing to watch this for another day.
    --
    Don
    Friday, September 10, 2010 7:05 PM
  •  
    "DonCarlson" wrote in message
    news:0e040c85-293a-4911-ae94-1e29b16be484@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > I have had this issue for a week now. It was working perfectly but now
    > every time I look at it in Dashboard it shows it as "offline".
    >
    > I have left it this way to see what would happen with the backups and so
    > forth. For a week it has backed up without issue, every night.
    >
    > I collected logs when this first happened and will collect them again
    > before posting them to a bug stating this.
    >
    > The only thing that corrects it is rebooting the client that is having the
    > issue. I don't shut this computer down at all just put it to sleep at
    > night so from the information that I am seeing it might be related to once
    > it has gone to sleep and then brought back it appears offline.
    >
    > I am continuing to watch this for another day.
    > --
    > Don
    >
    When I set up the Connector for my machines, there was a check box for "Wake
    this computer for backup" or something similar. So, if it "wakes" the
    computer, it should know it's awake?

--
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:00 AM
  •  
    "Viperho" wrote in message
    news:4518f3aa-ddcd-4d18-af34-f5593e29f66c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Hello, encountering an interesting issue in my test lab. I have a number
    > of client computers working fine. However, one particular client will
    > connect and install the connector software fine and will be listed as a
    > client computer member. The issue is that it always appears offline even
    > though its online and can in fact connect to the dashboard on the WHS and
    > still look like its offline. I am stumped to why WHS Vail is not detecting
    > it online...  all machines are windows 7 enterprise
    >
    Viperho and Don:

There has been a bug filed for this one but it's only been up-voted three
    times, so maybe y'all should go vote for it. :)

--
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:06 AM
  • "it should know it's awake"

Exactly, that is what is strange. It didn't happen at first it started after a couple of weeks into the current build.

--
    Don
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Thank you for the information but mine is different than that one. Mine states "offline" but does the backups automatically every night.

--
    Don
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:10 AM
  •  
    "DonCarlson" wrote in message
    news:e21e8505-49a1-48f4-9c5f-44f9b2f0bbf1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Thank you for the information but mine is different than that one. Mine
    > states "offline" but does the backups automatically every night.
    >
    > --
    > Don
    >
    Oh. Didn't look closely enough.
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Hello, encountering an interesting issue in my test lab. I have a number of client computers working fine. However, one particular client will connect and install the connector software fine and will be listed as a client computer member. The issue is that it always appears offline even though its online and can in fact connect to the dashboard on the WHS and still look like its offline. I am stumped to why WHS Vail is not detecting it online...  all machines are windows 7 enterprise
    Has it been like that since you set up Vail (or was it working at first)?  Have you tried completely disabling all firewalls on the client in question?
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 4:27 AM
  • yep, this particular machine has never been seen as online, but will install the connector fine and populate in the computer list. I have disabled microsoft security essentials and windows firewall and no luck either.  Very puzzling.

I noticed that on some machines, WHS Vail edits the local hosts file on some clients and will add the IP and netbios name of the WHS machine. I tried to manuall add this to the troubled client machine but had no luck...

Saturday, September 11, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Viperho,

You have not stated how many clients are attached.  I believe you cannot exceed 10 clients, at least that is the number available in the current release.

As always, perplexed by Windows
    Monday, September 13, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Check the Windows Server Health Service on the client computers, it should be running.  I've had the same problem and just start the service on the clients and they appear online.  I have no idea why the service stops or doesn't start.
    Monday, October 11, 2010 4:30 PM
  • I have had this issue for a week now. It was working perfectly but now every time I look at it in Dashboard it shows it as "offline".

I have left it this way to see what would happen with the backups and so forth. For a week it has backed up without issue, every night.

I collected logs when this first happened and will collect them again before posting them to a bug stating this.

The only thing that corrects it is rebooting the client that is having the issue. I don't shut this computer down at all just put it to sleep at night so from the information that I am seeing it might be related to once it has gone to sleep and then brought back it appears offline.

I am continuing to watch this for another day.
    --
    Don

I have the same issue on a client that never sleeps (it runs Skype to POTS for home phone service, so it is always on). It shows offline but backs up fine and I can connect to it remotely. 

John

Vail Server HW: Asus socket 775 mobo, E6500 dual core processor. 4 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 5400 RPM drives, 1 IDE DVD drive, 2GB RAM, latest build of Vail
    Monday, October 11, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Thank you for the tip. I had Dashboard open when checking this and "Windows Server Health Service" was stopped, as you say, for some reason. As soon as I started it the Client went Online.

Has there been a bug filed for this specific to "Windows Server Health Service" stopping for no apparent reason?

--
    Don
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:06 AM

• Has there been a bug filed for this specific to "Windows Server Health Service" stopping for no apparent reason?
    You could submit one …

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Check the Windows Server Health Service on the client computers, it should be running.  I've had the same problem and just start the service on the clients and they appear online.  I have no idea why the service stops or doesn't start.

This was exactly the issue on my machine as well, thanks.

John

Vail Server HW: Asus socket 775 mobo, E6500 dual core processor. 4 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 5400 RPM drives, 1 IDE DVD drive, 2GB RAM, latest build of Vail
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Any chance windows firewall (or other) is running that is blocking the offline computer's ability to report it is online?  Try disabling the firewall as a test and see if it comes online.  Just a thought....
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:38 PM
  • I'm going to as soon as it happens again. I started the service and it hasn't gone "offline" yet.

--
    Don
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:45 AM
  • I've had this same issue with a WIN7 Ultimate machine since Vail V1 beta...thought this was probably it but my service is running so...XP machines are fine...
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Still have this issue on this same machine with 2011 release candidate. I am beginning to think its the BigFoot Networks Xeno Pro Killer Nic that the system has..

I have pretty much replaced the entire motheboard/cpu since then except the NIC card. Anybody else with Killer NIC cards encountering the same issue?

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:39 AM
  • How do you start/stop Windows Server Health Status?  Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:37 PM