Re-install of windows but lost product key RRS feed

• Question

• Early this year my motherboard burnt out so i had to get a new one fitted. The man who fitted ask me for my windows Xp cd and my product key, well i had my cd but i lost my key. So i phone microsoft up but they were no help and just said the warrant finished as soon as my motherboard burnt out.so he had to load it up with a none genuine key.  I tried to tell them that i had the xp cd but they were having none of it. Now none of the updates will install or IE7 and wmp11 will work. Is there any way to find out previos Product keys that have been use to install windows on this machine???
    Sunday, January 14, 2007 6:58 PM

Answers

•  NathanL wrote:
    Early this year my motherboard burnt out so i had to get a new one fitted. The man who fitted ask me for my windows Xp cd and my product key, well i had my cd but i lost my key. So i phone microsoft up but they were no help and just said the warrant finished as soon as my motherboard burnt out.so he had to load it up with a none genuine key.  I tried to tell them that i had the xp cd but they were having none of it. Now none of the updates will install or IE7 and wmp11 will work. Is there any way to find out previos Product keys that have been use to install windows on this machine???

There is no way to recover a previously used Product Key once it is overwritten by a new Product Key, albeit a non-genuine one.  In order to resolve your non-genuine license issue, please visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on Validate Windows.  When validation fails, you'll be presented with an opportunity to purchase a WGA Kit.

Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:00 PM
  • NathanL,

Retail purchases of Windows XP have the product key on a yellow-orange sticker on the folder that holds the CDROM, and the folder is kept inside the retail package box.

OEM licenses for XP will have the product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity, which will be affixed to the computer case.  (If a laptop, the COA is normally on the bottom.)

Do you have any of the materials mentioned above?  If so, you may be able to get a replacement product key.  Please post back with more info.

Monday, January 15, 2007 2:09 AM

All replies

•  NathanL wrote:
    Early this year my motherboard burnt out so i had to get a new one fitted. The man who fitted ask me for my windows Xp cd and my product key, well i had my cd but i lost my key. So i phone microsoft up but they were no help and just said the warrant finished as soon as my motherboard burnt out.so he had to load it up with a none genuine key.  I tried to tell them that i had the xp cd but they were having none of it. Now none of the updates will install or IE7 and wmp11 will work. Is there any way to find out previos Product keys that have been use to install windows on this machine???

There is no way to recover a previously used Product Key once it is overwritten by a new Product Key, albeit a non-genuine one.  In order to resolve your non-genuine license issue, please visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on Validate Windows.  When validation fails, you'll be presented with an opportunity to purchase a WGA Kit.

Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:00 PM
  • NathanL,

Retail purchases of Windows XP have the product key on a yellow-orange sticker on the folder that holds the CDROM, and the folder is kept inside the retail package box.

OEM licenses for XP will have the product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity, which will be affixed to the computer case.  (If a laptop, the COA is normally on the bottom.)

Do you have any of the materials mentioned above?  If so, you may be able to get a replacement product key.  Please post back with more info.

Monday, January 15, 2007 2:09 AM
  • My computer had it's hard drive replaced and the computer guys didn't put on windows, which was already on it, my computer came with windows on it but no cd, the product key is on the bottom for the windows xp disc i don't have, so with my desktop computer i got the windows xp home edition and tried to load it onto the laptop, but i lost the case with the product key on it, can i retrace my product key in any way throught the internet or something?
    Monday, April 16, 2007 5:37 AM
  • How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:55 AM