Error Adding Custom Attribute to Contact Entity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We are running CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 16 and cannot add a custom attribute to the contact entity. When trying to do this we keep getting a generic error stating an error has occured with a big red cross, followed by try this action again etc etc.

We have looked on the servers event logs and cannot see anything being logged. The account trying to create the custom attribute has system administrator and system customizer roles assigned.

Can anyone suggest where I can start to troubleshoot this?

The custom attribute is called Industry

TIA

Adam 

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:58 PM

Answers

• If your are on an on-premise environment then you can enable tracing.  That should give you some clues as to where the error is occuring.  If you still do not know from the traces, then feel free to post them here and we should be able to help.

Thanks,

Brandon

• Marked as answer by Adam42 Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:13 PM
  • This could be several different things...

1. Can you post the error?

2. Can you turn on tracing and check the CRM trace logs?

3. How many attributes have you added? there is a cap, I forget what it is, but it is a large number no less than 200.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:15 PM

All replies

• If your are on an on-premise environment then you can enable tracing.  That should give you some clues as to where the error is occuring.  If you still do not know from the traces, then feel free to post them here and we should be able to help.

Thanks,

Brandon

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:13 PM
  • This could be several different things...

1. Can you post the error?

2. Can you turn on tracing and check the CRM trace logs?

3. How many attributes have you added? there is a cap, I forget what it is, but it is a large number no less than 200.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Wow, what a quick repsonse, thanks very much both.

I turned on tracing and indeed it has discovered the issue or at least help me track it down via google.

What we are seeing is the following in the logs:

Could not find stored procedure 'p_PublishMetadata'

Googling on this took me to an article that relates to the stored procedure permissions and it looks as though we are also suffering from this.

http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com/2009/04/error-importing-customizations.html

When I look at the stored procedure the owner is a domain admin account and not DBO. The same is true of 2 other stored procs. The problem we have now as that we need to update them but we are getting stuck on the SQL query syntax. The article states use this command:

sp_changeobjectowner 'p_PublishMetadata', 'dbo'

However when we do the above SQL spits an error out stating:

Msg 15001, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_changeobjectowner, Line 62

Object 'p_PublishMetadata' does not exist or is not a valid object for this operation

Do we need to add anything prior to this command, can anyone help with this?

TIA

Adam

Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Ha Ha, we have found the issue. The Object needs prefixing with the full name i.e. domain\account.p_PublishMetadata'

Thanks to you both for your help

Adam

Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:12 PM