How do you suppress the controls that are returned from the Bing Translate widget? RRS feed

• Question

• I know that there are other questions that are similar to this one but I am confused by this and feel some of the data is out of date.

One answer pointed to the bing translate page for an option but it doesn't really help.

There are three pieces that come back from the Bing Translate widget creation one was a button that I was able to suppress it from showing up, second that shows up while the Translation is occurring and the third is a hover option.  I want to be just be able to send the language of the site and language I want it to be translated into and not allow the users of the site to touch anything.  Does the paid version give more options to supress these?  Can they be suppressed completely? 

Nothing in at http://www.bing.com/widget/translator/ gives any option to do this.  One item looks like it would suppress the Improve translation piece but it doesn't really all of the way.  It just suppresses the option to

My JavaScript that I place into a site.master page.  This works to translate the page but with some undesired results.

<script src="http://www.microsoftTranslator.com/ajax/v3/WidgetV3.ashx?siteData=mySiteData&ctf=False&ui=False"

type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> document.onreadystatechange = function () { if (document.readyState == 'complete') { Microsoft.Translator.Widget.Translate('en', 'es'); } } </script>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:20 PM

Answers

• No help was provided to me but I did find out that developers can not develop to hide the controls only the Translate Button itself can be hidden.  Microsoft is returning the attributtion from the Translate Method.  If you do find a way to hide it that in itself would be breaking the Attribution agreement.  

I planned on giving the link to the agreement however no links are allowed until my account is verified.  Apparently it has not been yet.  Google the Microsoft Translator Attribution Agreement and you might find the full agreement for the Bing Translator widget.

I hope that this helps someone else.

• Edited by WillNorris Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:47 PM spelling error
    • Marked as answer by WillNorris Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi Will, the widget is designed to be a self contained experience with significant flexibility offered to the webmasters in terms of where and how they can invoke it from. Once the translation is kicked off, the widget control is always presented to the user as a means to change language, email a link to the page, or end translation. It collapses down to a fairly small size. The control is also movable, but based on early feedback we are also working on providing more flexibility around initial positioning of the control.

For anyone who needs more development flexibility in terms of the entire translation experience, you can utilize the Translator API directly (the AJAX flavor is likely the most useful in translating webpages).

Vikram Dendi, Director of Product Management
    Microsoft Translator

• Marked as answer by Vikram Dendi Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:27 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:12 PM

All replies

• No help was provided to me but I did find out that developers can not develop to hide the controls only the Translate Button itself can be hidden.  Microsoft is returning the attributtion from the Translate Method.  If you do find a way to hide it that in itself would be breaking the Attribution agreement.  

I planned on giving the link to the agreement however no links are allowed until my account is verified.  Apparently it has not been yet.  Google the Microsoft Translator Attribution Agreement and you might find the full agreement for the Bing Translator widget.

I hope that this helps someone else.

• Edited by WillNorris Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:47 PM spelling error
    • Marked as answer by WillNorris Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi Will, the widget is designed to be a self contained experience with significant flexibility offered to the webmasters in terms of where and how they can invoke it from. Once the translation is kicked off, the widget control is always presented to the user as a means to change language, email a link to the page, or end translation. It collapses down to a fairly small size. The control is also movable, but based on early feedback we are also working on providing more flexibility around initial positioning of the control.

For anyone who needs more development flexibility in terms of the entire translation experience, you can utilize the Translator API directly (the AJAX flavor is likely the most useful in translating webpages).

Vikram Dendi, Director of Product Management
    Microsoft Translator

• Marked as answer by Vikram Dendi Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:27 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:12 PM