WHS 2011 on an HP Proliant Server (challenges) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I don't know if this is going to help anyone, but I wanted to post some information about my experience installing Windows Home Server 2011 on an HP Proliant ML350 G5 Server.  

My intention was to install the OS on a 73GB 15K RAID 1 array and then set up a data drive on a 1TB 7.2K RAID 5 array.  Both of these arrays were running off of a E200i Smart Array Controller.  Windows detected both arrays but I kept getting the dreaded error message that indicated the array was too small.  
    I tried setting a cfg.ini file on a USB key while installing from a DVD as many posts now talk about, but I could not get it to work.  I tried many different configurations and what finally worked for me was the following.

Deleted all arrays except the 73GB RAID 1 array

Created a USB bootable WHS 2011 installation disk on an 8GB USB key and copied the config file to it.

The last step that worked for me was adding windows 2008 x64 LSI Logic drivers to the USB key for an LSI Logic 20320C-HP controller card in this server and adding the drivers line to the cfg.ini file. I don't know why adding the drivers helped, in hind site I probably should have pulled that secondary LSI scsi card from the server during the installation as Windows installer seemed to see the array on the E200i controller fine.   

For the record, my cfg.ini file was set up as follows:

[WinPE]
    Drivers=_:\ML350 RAID Drivers\LSIMPT_SCSI_W2k8_1.28.03\lsimpt_scsi_srv08_x64\
    ConfigDisk=1
    CheckReqs=0
    WindowsPartitionSize=MAX
    Processed=true

Hope this helps someone else.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi, just found your post after trawling through the net with a similar problem. Do you mind if I ask you about installing WHS 2011 on a HP Proliant DL320 G5P server ? I have 4 hard drives connected up in 2 seperate RAID 1 arrays. When I try to install the OS, it doesn't find any drivers for the onboard RAID controller. Considering I'm a novice with servers, could you help me out ? Obviously there's no specific WHS 2011 driver files and I was thinking that the 2008 64 bit ones might do but I'm not sure.

Can you give me any idea of what driver files I actually need and how I'd go about installing them during the boot up process ?

Thanks for any help :-)

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 drivers are best. If not available, try Windows 7 x64 drivers.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 drivers are best. If not available, try Windows 7 x64 drivers.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Monday, June 11, 2012 8:19 PM