none
Problem with Antivirus and FireWall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

From "time to rhyme" I meet the same problem - antiviruses and firewalls (AV FW) at my clients PCs..
    They get crazy - "Doesn't work!!!!!" I say they should stop blocking the traffic by FW or AV.
    Win10 and its Defender - another dark matter crazy story for them.. they're just convulsively looking for that Defender.. another big wild story.. )))

So, here is my question: how to make this procedure easier for clients? Just like in Android PC - question - Do you want to let that App access the Network?
    They say Yes and after that no more any hassles?

Can I control AV and FW from an App? (C# WinForms/WPF, of course)

Thanks for your recommendations..

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:49 PM

All replies

• your setup should add the necessary firewall rules.
    f.e. when using WIX you would use the FirewallException
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Hi RobbKirk, 

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, You want to control AV and FW from an App with C# or other ways.

Here’s a reference about Windows Firewall settings with C#.

Automating Windows Firewall settings with C# (part 2)

I find another reference about detecting Antivirus on Windows.

Detect Antivirus on Windows using C# [closed]

Hope them can help you.

Besides, if I have any misunderstanding, please describe more clearly about your problem.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 16, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hello,

You should not expect clients to turn off these settings or write exclusions, instead purchase a certificate for the application. Firewall and anti-virus settings are there for good reasons, attempting to go around them would be unprofessional and to those settings seem like an attack.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, August 16, 2019 9:05 AM