Failed Validation of bonafide Windows XP installation RRS feed

• Question

• The WGA validation failed but the installation is a bonafide one.  When troubleshooting, the following feedback results:

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

Passed
    Active scripting allowed
    Passed
    Display images enabled
    Passed
    Computer time and date correct
    Passed
    ActiveX enabled
    Checking
    Microsoft ActiveX controls loading

The Diagnostic is continuously stuck at the last check: Microsoft ActiveX controls loading

What's wrong?

The following is the Diagnostic tool's result:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WVCPK-9G2YH-XXCQ8
    Windows Product Key Hash: mcnb8Hz+hEWDMRqsj0R2gBIca1E=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-1102433-23531
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: GJ3Y7L7
    ID: 17470f5b-2821-4d1e-859c-7ca03004b9cf
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Unknown.
    Validation Diagnostic:
    System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete
    Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    Cache refresh Interval: 110848 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): 14
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): 31
    All disabled: 0
    Reminder reduced: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: N/A
    OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:
    Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed
    File Scan Data-->
    Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>17470f5b-2821-4d1e-859c-7ca03004b9cf</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XXCQ8</PKey><PID>55274-640-1102433-23531</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1409082233-963894560-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>OptiPlex GX270               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A06</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040929000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7B2D3FE701848053</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>4AA9266A3C7D500</Val><Hash>D3ihiz5UX+z61WDep7RhdW7iEu4=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-2674002-57610</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:24 PM

Answers

• The issue seems to lie within the "Signature Type: Unknown." (given at the top of the file). This does not directly relate to WGA, but rather its the way the cryptographic services on the computer is trying to read the digital signature of the file "LegitCheckControl.dll".

I'm not under the assumption that your company does or does not know more. Its best, at this point, to have your IT lead contact his or her Microsoft Account Manager specifically to escalate the issue with a different priority as an enterprise customer.

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:29 AM
  • WGAReject:

I did a bit of web sniffing as to the issue. Thank you for trouble-shooting it down to the event-log to locate the EventID that is crashing (quoted above, it is 10021). Doing a quick web search with the terms "DCOM error 10021" points a few notes about Framework, Launch, and Activation permissions problems - specifically revolving around certificates and authentication.

HOWEVER, all of these point to SmartCard authentication issues with Corporate type machines that run a Windows Server backend (like Win Server 2003). One example is here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006012909018.

At this point, I do believe it is way outside of the realm of WGA Validation issues. I would highly, highly suggest contacting your IT administrator (I'm assuming you have one, because the WGA Diagnostics details points to having a Volume License - mainly for corporate use) to resolve this issue. Also, I would suggest filing a support request at www.support.microsoft.com under the Windows Server section.

I'm sorry for the issues you're seeing, but its outside of what we can handle directly here.

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you tell us the exact validation error you see when you goto http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Please paste the error on this thread.

Thanks,

Satish

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:33 PM
  • Running the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

Do you see the Internet Explorer Info Bar as displayed in this picture?    

If the Info Bar is displayed, follow the steps below to install the Genuine Windows Validation Component.

1. Right click the Info Bar and select Install the ActiveX Control (shown below).

2. In the Internet Explorer Security Warning dialog box, click the Install button.    
    Validate Windows Using an Alternate Method

Your current browser cannot run the ActiveX control required by the genuine Windows validation process.
    Let's try validating a different way:
    Click Validate Now to run the genuine Windows validation application.
    When prompted, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
    Validate Now    
    &&
    Validation Not Completed: ActiveX Error
    [0x80080206]     
    Why did it not validate?

There are several reasons why validation may not have succeeded.

The Windows Genuine Advantage Tool requires the user account to have administrative privileges on the computer.

The Windows Genuine Advantage Tool requires access and is unable to communicate with the Microsoft validation servers. Please click here to learn more about troubleshooting your antivirus, antispyware, Internet Explorer and firewall settings.     
    Microsoft Genuine Advantage – Diagnostic Site    
    What is the purpose of this site?
    These diagnostic pages will help you ensure that your Internet Explorer (5.01 or later) settings are configured properly to see images, run scripts, and allow ActiveX controls to download and run.
    You will be walked through the troubleshooting process step by step. If your configuration settings are not correct, you will be provided with suggestions to resolve the problem. If your problem persists, you will be provided with information about where you can obtain additional assistance.    
    Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results    
    Passed
    Active scripting allowed
    Passed
    Display images enabled
    Passed
    Computer time and date correct
    Passed
    ActiveX enabled
    Checking
    Microsoft ActiveX controls loading

SAME PROBLEM AS BEFORE!
    What's wrong?????

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

Could you verify the browser Add-ons manager and see if the "Winows Genuine Validation Tool" is enabled?

Internet Explorer  -> Tools Menu -> Manage Add-ons

Thanks,

Satish

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:55 PM
  • I don't see that Add-on anywhere in the browser Add-ons manager, it doesn't appear to be there.
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:56 AM

• Could you re-install the activeX validation control manually using below link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69479

Thanks,
    Satish

Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:04 AM
  • I did what you asked.

It took a while and when I rebooted the computer it stated: This copy of Windows is not genuine

I clicked: Get Genuine

I followed all of the steps and got this result: Validation Inclomplete: Unable to Perform Validation [0x80080299]

Validation Incomplete: Unable to Perform Validation

[0x80080299]

Why didn’t my machine complete validation?

You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue.

This is a bonafide copy of Windows XP, it is on a Dell Optiplex and has been running fine since installation, including downloading all updates automatically, etc.  I am able to go to Microsoft's downloads site and, after verifying that this computer is running a legal copy of Windows XP, I can download and install the software, that's how I was able to install Explorer 7 and Windows Defender.  Is there anything else that I can do, such as registry changes, starting/stopping processes, etc?

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:00 AM
  • Reject:

From the output, it seems you're a Volume License user. Could you contact your account manager to escalate to our team directly regarding this issue?

-phil

(One thing to note, is all users should have the READ ability on the file "legitcheckcontrol.dll" in your c:\windows\system32 directory - please ensure this file is set correctly).

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:05 AM
  • Your answer is not helpful.  Yes, it is a volume license but why should my employer know any more than Microsoft does?  It is not acceptable for Microsoft to cause problems, then abandon the customer/user of their bonafide software installations.  According to the posts on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, this kind of problem appears to be widespread.  It is caused by Microsoft's digital rights management software (WGA) and, because it has messed up the availability of security updates for this computer, it is now vulnerable to attack and possible damage to the programs and files on this computer.  What more is available from Microsoft to repair/fix this problem?
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:14 AM
  • One more thing, I did what you recommended below but there wasn't any security tab for READ permissions only a Read Only checkbox in the general information dialog box.

"One thing to note, is all users should have the READ ability on the file "legitcheckcontrol.dll" in your c:\windows\system32 directory - please ensure this file is set correctly)."

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:27 AM
  • The issue seems to lie within the "Signature Type: Unknown." (given at the top of the file). This does not directly relate to WGA, but rather its the way the cryptographic services on the computer is trying to read the digital signature of the file "LegitCheckControl.dll".

I'm not under the assumption that your company does or does not know more. Its best, at this point, to have your IT lead contact his or her Microsoft Account Manager specifically to escalate the issue with a different priority as an enterprise customer.

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:29 AM
  • Also, you mentioned the browser freezes when it stops at "ActiveX controls loading" - do you have special group policies set so browsers cannot run ActiveX controls? This doesn't seem to be WGA related (not saying it isn't), but it could be ActiveX is having problems or permissions issues that keeps it from loading.
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:33 AM
  •  WGA Reject wrote:

One more thing, I did what you recommended below but there wasn't any security tab for READ permissions only a Read Only checkbox in the general information dialog box.

"One thing to note, is all users should have the READ ability on the file "legitcheckcontrol.dll" in your c:\windows\system32 directory - please ensure this file is set correctly)."

This property is located (when you right click for properties) on the General tab at the bottom where it says "Attributes".

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:34 AM
  • The browser does not freeze, its the process of checking that does.  I haven't altered any ActiveX controls settings from the default ones.  I did look at the bootup processes and one failed:

DCOM error

CLSID 2A6D72F1-6E7E-4702-B99C-E40D 3D ED 33C3

Is invalid

Microsoft advised the following but I couldn't find the CLSID referred to even when I searched in resedit.

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    Event ID: 10021
    Source: DCOM
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_COM_INVALID_SERVER_ACTIVATION_SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR
    Message: The launch and activation security descriptor for the COM Server application with CLSID {} is invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

Explanation
    A program, the Clsid displayed in the message, tried to start the DCOM server by using the DCOM infrastructure. However the permission associated with the DCOM Server was not correctly set up.

User Action
    Verify that the user has the appropriate permissions to start the DCOM server.

To assign permissions

Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
    HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
    The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
    In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Component Services.
    In the Component Services snap-in, expand Computers, expand My Computer, and double-click DCOM Config.
    In the right pane, locate the program by using its friendly name.
    Right-click the program name, and then select Properties.
    On the Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions group box, select Customize, and then click Edit.
    Add the user to the permissions list, and give the user the appropriate permissions.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:24 AM
  • WGAReject:

I did a bit of web sniffing as to the issue. Thank you for trouble-shooting it down to the event-log to locate the EventID that is crashing (quoted above, it is 10021). Doing a quick web search with the terms "DCOM error 10021" points a few notes about Framework, Launch, and Activation permissions problems - specifically revolving around certificates and authentication.

HOWEVER, all of these point to SmartCard authentication issues with Corporate type machines that run a Windows Server backend (like Win Server 2003). One example is here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006012909018.

At this point, I do believe it is way outside of the realm of WGA Validation issues. I would highly, highly suggest contacting your IT administrator (I'm assuming you have one, because the WGA Diagnostics details points to having a Volume License - mainly for corporate use) to resolve this issue. Also, I would suggest filing a support request at www.support.microsoft.com under the Windows Server section.

I'm sorry for the issues you're seeing, but its outside of what we can handle directly here.

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:19 AM
  • This desktop computer has no smartcard reading device and is not connected to a server, my employer supplied it to me for work at home as a standalone, not connected to the workplace network server.  This computer worked fine, including operating system updating, until the recent WGA update.  I can still download programs such as Windows Defender and I.E. 7 and install them because the WGA process at the Microsoft download center determines that this computer is running a bonafide installation of Windows XP.  But, when it boots, it requires WGA authorization and fails it but, when I click "Get Genuine", it continues to boot and operates without any WGA periodic warnings/reminders that the operating system is not genuine but it doesn't pass the WGA authorization process for updates.  Any suggestions as to what to do, other than interrupting my summer vacation to drag this computer into work and be without access to it for who knows how long or worse such as the I.T. department wiping out all my files and programs because of a drive erase and re-install/mirror of Windows XP?  Just because this installation of Windows XP is a corporate license, it shouldn't mean that problems caused by Microsoft's digital rights management should require that a company's I.T. department use its time and resources to troubleshoot any computer problems with Microsoft's flawed WGA processes. 

I have looked at other bootup events for which warnings and failures occurred and some of them are cause by Windows Defender not allowing some Microsoft processes to execute, including update services such as spupdsvc .  If you need it, I can supply the archive of System Events for July 26 if you/Microsoft sends me an email address to send it to.  Below, I have copied some of the ones which I think are of particular interest. 

The launch and activation security descriptor for the COM Server application with CLSID

{2A6D72F1-6E7E-4702-B99C-E40D3DED33C3}

is invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

sptd

The OMSCAN service failed to start due to the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has detected spyware or other potentially unwanted software.

For more information please see the following:

http://www.microsoft.com

Scan ID: {20EE9F95-2477-425C-988E-391EA7E6DC06}

User: DELLDESKTOP\Staff

Name: Unknown

ID:

Severity ID:

Category ID:

Path Found: driver:spupdsvc

Alert Type: Unknown

Detection Type:

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has detected spyware or other potentially unwanted software.

Scan ID: {E8F910DF-2132-42D9-B837-B78AFDBDB60F}

ID:

Severity ID:

Category ID:

Path Found: service:spupdsvc

Detection Type:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service IISADMIN with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A0C922E750}

Scan ID: {484EEEC5-36F5-4B58-AE65-C5919CC4D14A}

ID:

Severity ID:

Category ID:

Path Found: driver:PROCEXP100

Detection Type:

Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:22 PM
  • So, where's the assistance?
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 5:46 PM
  •  WGA Reject wrote:
    So, where's the assistance?

Unfortunately, we cannot monitor the forum 24/7. There is an available support line at www.support.microsoft.com for 24/7 support. This issue, at this point, is out of the capabilities of the forum. I would suggest filing a support request either with your IT department or at www.support.microsoft.com

A few notes from a previous post:

1 - The support provided by the forum cannot be intimate for one very easy reason - it is a public forum. We cannot ask a user to post their personal information or computer settings (to a certain extent).

2 - The best way to gain very very technical support is to file a support request at www.support.microsoft.com. This specific case (at this point) is out of the capabilities of support we can provide on the forum. There are limitations to the support we can provide here without request information that may be private identifiable informaiton.

You're a volume license customer, and are entitled to the fullest level of support - but it has to be channeled appropriately. The appropriate way, again, is to go through your IT department to escalate to their Microsoft INTERNAL contacts to get the most intimate support.

Friday, July 28, 2006 1:10 AM
  • Unfortunately, my employer's I.T. department has informed me that if I bring them the computer they will merely erase the hard drive and re-image it with another VLK Windows XP installation.  I have a 40 GB hard drive but no means to backup the drive.  I cannot afford to lose the files and installed application programs.  As well, reinstalling all the application programs is a very tedious undertaking.  Instead, I will contact www.support.microsoft.com to get the service necessary to remedy the WGA flaw.  As I previously stated, the WGA authorization problem of Windows XP on the computer I am using is not limited to only me or a few others, it appears to be affecting quite a lot of Windows XP installations.  Microsoft should not have distributed a seriously flawed WGA authorization utility, especially one which doesn't install properly and causes bonafide Windows XP installations to be exposed to infection and hackers.
    Friday, July 28, 2006 2:39 AM