how can i factory restore my laptop without restore cd

Question

•  

my harddrive is full and it is also full with spyware. i would like to know , how can i restore it to factory setting without the restore cd. if i go to control panel, my restore point is only yesterday. and i have had this laptop for 3 years now amd it doesmt resore that far. can someone please give me step by step answers on how to put it back to the way i bought it, straight out the box
    Sunday, January 06, 2008 11:08 AM

Answers

• Flacoboy,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to the Discussions in Windows XP General Forum newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US 

Also I would contact the manufacturer techicial support section and request the restoration software media. This way you can restore everything back as if it were factory new.

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:02 PM

All replies

• Flacoboy,

Start>r/c My Computer>Manage>Disk Management.  Look for a partition that is about 2-4 GB in size that does not have a drive letter.  If you have one, that is probably the hidden Restore/Recovery partition.  Or Open the Local Disk Drive and see if you have a Drive Letter called Restore/Recovery.  If you have one or the other, then you have the data needed to run a Recovery.  So, look up the support page for your exact model at the manufacturer's web site and find the instructions on how to do a Recovery.

While you are at the manufacturer's web site, see if you can find how to order recovery Cds if available for your make and model.

Or, try www.restoredisks.com.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:45 PM
  • i couldnt find none of the things you said. when i went to my computer i didnt see manage anywhere. i didnt see any letter either. i think im lookin in the wrong place. by the way (R/C) suppose to be in Start>r/c My Computer>Manage>Disk Management?? or what does it mean. i thought by pressing f12 when u restarted the pc, it would have some way there of erasing everything to normal

Monday, January 07, 2008 5:44 AM
  • Flacoboy,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to the Discussions in Windows XP General Forum newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US 

Also I would contact the manufacturer techicial support section and request the restoration software media. This way you can restore everything back as if it were factory new.

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:02 PM
  • I suggest you keep hiting F8 button  5 to 6 times then u will get a option for restoring  ur laptop from start

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:51 AM
  • I suggest you copy all important files to a USB hard drive then format your drive and reinstall XP.

put your old hard drive in an enclosure format it and use it for backup.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:49 PM
  • I do not believe the person that posted this question (2 years ago) is still following the thread.
    Darin MS
    Friday, April 23, 2010 11:15 PM