NFS Share stop being accessible from today ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I use NFS share on my WHS 2011 RTM because I have a mediastreamer (Netgear NeoTV550) that work better with NFS than SMB share.

But today I've lost all my access to the NFS share.

SMB share are still fully accessible

Yesterday everthing worked fine but today I can access to any NFS share I make.

Even if I creat a new folder with new NFS SHare It doesn't work !

I tried many things:

-reboot
    -Rebuilt new share on the console then reshare with NFS
    - New folder only shared with NFS
    -Firewall is configured for accept NFS
    -I looked for the NTFS autorisations 

- I try to access the NFS share form a Win7 Integral on the network, with my user account or with Admin account, unsuccessfull!

I'm totaly lost! I really don't know why today it will not work as it was working ince 2 month! I don't know what or where I should look. So if somebody can help me I would be greatfull 

Thanks

Le_Poilu

Monday, July 4, 2011 1:51 PM

All replies

• It's likely to be something with the way you have Services for NFS configured. I'm going to suggest you start your research here, as NFS isn't, strictly speaking, going to be supported by Windows Home Server. Configurable, yes. And there should be little difference in this area between Windows Home Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. But "supported", no.

One thing to look at: have you configured a homegroup on your server? Or joined it to one that already existed? Homegroup security overrides NT security. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:48 PM
  • I'll take a look on the technet docs, thanks.

Yes I have a Homegroups configured.

My WHS 2011 is the Homegroups provider on my network. Until now everything worked fine, but it seems that  something as changed between yesterday and now, and I really don't know what. It's Fu##ing crazy !

Monday, July 4, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Iwould suggest that the Microsoft updates might have affected you system. Since it is unique, then either restore to an earlier date or the original setup and add updates one by one until the guilty one is found. A shot in the dark, but makes sense if you are automatically updating and aren't aware of changes that are occuring without your knowledge.
    Frank Stankis Sys Mngr
    Monday, July 4, 2011 8:20 PM
  • I'll take a look on the technet docs, thanks.

Yes I have a Homegroups configured.

My WHS 2011 is the Homegroups provider on my network. Until now everything worked fine, but it seems that  something as changed between yesterday and now, and I really don't know what. It's Fu##ing crazy !

Homegroup security overrides other types of security. This is by design; I think the assumption was that users will use one or the other, not both.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:16 AM
  • oooookkkk

Don't ask me why or how, but it's working again.

I tried several things and now my media streamer can access again the NFS share. Weird :p

Ken -> HG and NFS can be use together, and I don't see why they cannot should not.

HD is based on SMB+NTFS access, NFS use is own shared system but depends on NTFS security too.

When you configure HG you don't delete or modify the actual NTFS access, it only add the access to the "Homegroups" user group.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:35 AM