backup issues with different language on server / client? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I heard that backup and restore from different language installs will not work reliably unless the client OS is running the same language as the Windows home server. I find this very hard to believe (if not ridiculous). I was under the impression that the WHS backup was done in an imaging fashion therefore, the OS language should be completely irrelevant.

Can anyone clarify?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:13 PM

All replies

• Not that I'm aware of, but all my home computers are EN-US.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:54 PM
  • Hi

I heard that backup and restore from different language installs will not work reliably unless the client OS is running the same language as the Windows home server. I find this very hard to believe (if not ridiculous). I was under the impression that the WHS backup was done in an imaging fashion therefore, the OS language should be completely irrelevant.

Can anyone clarify?

You are right, language of the client OS is not relevant. Both at home and at the office I use WHS to backup systems with a number of different languages to EN-US WHS. Backups, opening backup and restore works as exepected irrespective of client OS language.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:54 AM
  • I got the following response from an HP person

The whole underpinnings of the product is based on like for like OS. So you can't back up a German
    client PC to a English OS Data Vault. In some combinations it may appear that the back up was successful
    but the files will be corrupt and any restore won't be reliable. So its important to partner clients with
    the same language OS as the Data Vault.

In further conversations also with HP support, this statement was basically confirmed. One of the reasons they said was that Windows XP saves restore point data in language specific folders and therefore WHS could not always find the correct place to restore the data.

If this was true then I would find this basically ridiculous, if a global company like microsoft and hp are not able to get this to work.

Quite frankly I find it quite disheartening to not get a consistent message from MS / HP. The fact that MS WHS support just pointed me to this forum and did not answer my question either is also not really reassuring.

So @brubber, maybe you are just lucky?

• Edited by burgi Friday, June 11, 2010 3:37 AM nicer formatting
    Friday, June 11, 2010 3:35 AM
  • It looks like the HP has to go back to school again, since he's plain wrong.
    Have both English and Dutch language clients on English WHS without any problem.

I got the following response from an HP person

The whole underpinnings of the product is based on like for like OS. So you can't back up a German
    client PC to a English OS Data Vault. In some combinations it may appear that the back up was successful
    but the files will be corrupt and any restore won't be reliable. So its important to partner clients with
    the same language OS as the Data Vault.

In further conversations also with HP support, this statement was basically confirmed. One of the reasons they said was that Windows XP saves restore point data in language specific folders and therefore WHS could not always find the correct place to restore the data.

If this was true then I would find this basically ridiculous, if a global company like microsoft and hp are not able to get this to work.

Quite frankly I find it quite disheartening to not get a consistent message from MS / HP. The fact that MS WHS support just pointed me to this forum and did not answer my question either is also not really reassuring.

So @brubber, maybe you are just lucky?

Have a nice day!
    Friday, June 11, 2010 6:56 AM