Server suddenly reverts all clients to "backup not setup" RRS feed

• Question

• Another strange one-off here. Found all clients in "backup not setup" state this morning and no backups ran last night. Rebooted and no change in client states. Wake up all the clients, set up backups, all seems fine again (save the lost backup). Only strange happening that might be associated is that WHS machine went into la-la-land last evening when I was opening a shared folder from a client. Machine was still pingable and mouse on console still reacted but nothing else including console Ctrl+Alt+Del seemed to get its attention. After ten minutes in this state, I did what any other red-blooded Windows owner does. I mashed the power button down till it went away. It appeared to come back up fine. All event log entries anywhere near in time related to the unexpected power event so no other hints. Did not check at the time to see if client backups were still setup...

Anybody else seen anything like this?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:49 PM

All replies

• Another strange one-off here. Found all clients in "backup not setup" state this morning and no backups ran last night. Rebooted and no change in client states. Wake up all the clients, set up backups, all seems fine again (save the lost backup). Only strange happening that might be associated is that WHS machine went into la-la-land last evening when I was opening a shared folder from a client. Machine was still pingable and mouse on console still reacted but nothing else including console Ctrl+Alt+Del seemed to get its attention. After ten minutes in this state, I did what any other red-blooded Windows owner does. I mashed the power button down till it went away. It appeared to come back up fine. All event log entries anywhere near in time related to the unexpected power event so no other hints. Did not check at the time to see if client backups were still setup...

Anybody else seen anything like this?

Is your server time and time zone correct set up?

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Checked to be sure. Yes and yes.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:19 AM
  • Are you running the RC?  I was and this happened - I went into the event log and found that the RC has expired.

If you are not running the RC check that you have activated the license.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:29 PM
  • I just had the exact same problem. My server took a power hit due to a storm and didn't come back up for 9+ hours. Just noticed tonight that backups had stopped. Like you said, had to wake up all clients and set up the backups.

-TB

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:46 AM
  • Never ran RC. Activated license several weeks prior to this incident.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 11:32 AM