"cannot locate the volume" for folders under c:\users\username RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to access many different successful backups of my Win7Ulyx64 client on WHS2011.

Need my outlook.pst file back.  So I go into the backup for c:\user\username\appdata, and I get "cannot locate the volume". Same for any folder under username. Same for all backups.

They were all successful, without error messages.

Steps:

Backup for many weeks using Win7.
    Wiped machine, installed Win8 Pro RTM.
    Rejoined WHS 2011 with the same computer name.
    Tried to access backups to restore my files. Other folders accessible from the root of C and D, down through many levels.

So I can fire up my old WHS v1 and see if I can access an older version of my mail file.
    How do I do that? Do I need to unjoin from WHS 2011, then install the connector software from v1?

Rick Hantz

Sunday, August 19, 2012 11:16 PM

Answers

• How do I do that? Do I need to unjoin from WHS 2011, then install the connector software from v1?

yes, that would be the way.

Or you can try a full restore of the volume to an external drive and see, if this runs through.

Did you at any time experiment with folder redirection, junctions or similar stuff to put your user profile content to a different disk? In this case you may have to open the backup from that disk, to which you redirected the access.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by RickHan Monday, August 20, 2012 2:40 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 6:42 AM

All replies

• How do I do that? Do I need to unjoin from WHS 2011, then install the connector software from v1?

yes, that would be the way.

Or you can try a full restore of the volume to an external drive and see, if this runs through.

Did you at any time experiment with folder redirection, junctions or similar stuff to put your user profile content to a different disk? In this case you may have to open the backup from that disk, to which you redirected the access.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by RickHan Monday, August 20, 2012 2:40 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 6:42 AM
  • When I installed my SSD, I tried moving users folder to D from C. Moved parts of it. Broke a lot junctions, etc.
    Windows Update always failed. Tried opening the content from both disks that it could be on.

So it looks like I need a backup from before my SSD was installed. At least my WHS v1 still exists and booted less than a month ago.

At least this time I used sysprep to properly move just the users folder to d: for a clean install of Win8 RTM. Was easy, and works fine.

Many thanks for the help. Looks like I shot myself in the foot.

Rick Hantz

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Glad to know the issue got fixed in the end. Thanks for your time and notification.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:52 AM
  • I just ran into and resolved a similar issue with accessing files in a user folder from a backup.

Scenario:

• Machine A is laptop running Win 7 with daily backups; primary user is a domain account
    • Machine B is desktop running Win 8 with daily backups; primary user is a Microsoft account
    • Machine A is stolen
    • Want to restore selected files from Machine A onto Machine B

Steps:

• Start the WHS 2011 dashboard
    • Go to Computers and Backup tab
    • Right-click Machine A and choose "Restore files or folders for the computer"
    • Select a backup
    • Wait for Opening the Volume to complete
    • Go into Users folder, then try to go into username folder

Get this error:

The restore process did not succeed
    ( X )  Cannot locate the volume
             The Restore Files or Folders Wizard cannot locate the volume you selected. Please try again.

Investigation:

• Noticed that Z: drive was mounted with the backup image
    • Tried browsing with Windows Explorer to the location, got error:
      You don't currently have permission to access this folder.
      Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder
    • Opened a Command Prompt with Administrator permissions, and was able to browse down into the Z drive and into the user folders.
    • This suggested the following, which was successful in my situation:

Workaround:

• Run WHS 2011 Dashboard with Administrator permissions
      (In Windows 8, go to Start screen, type "Dashboard", right-click "Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard" tile, click "Run as Administrator" in bottom of screen menu, click Yes in "User Account Control" dialog)
    • I was then able to follow the steps above to restore files from the backup, get into the username folder, and restore files successfully.
    • Proposed as answer by PeterDur Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:56 PM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:55 PM