none
WHS (Acer Easy Store H340) processor % utilization RRS feed

• Question

• When WHS system is on and after long periods of "idling" I have monitored the processor % utilization. At times it will be  2-5% (and memory utilization ~ 25% percent) . At other times it will appear to be  50-65% (with memory utilization ~~ 25-30%) when no other tasks are being performed.

If I shut down the WHS (from the Settings page of the WHS) and then restart it (a few minutes later) the processor (% utilization) will go back to the lower level (~~ 2-5% utilization).

Does this infer that it may have been stuck in a "loop" doing something that was an uneeded function that didn't recur when it was restarted?

Paul

• Edited by boontonflyer Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:03 AM Corrected memory util. figure
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:46 AM

Answers

• For some reason typing "run" in the start box doesn't do it on my machine. That's alright , I have the other way (Windows Key + R).

Thanks,

Paul
    • Marked as answer by boontonflyer Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:16 PM
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:16 PM

All replies

• Have a look in the task manager and see what process is consuming the cpu usage.
    Although it may appear as if there are no tasks running, there still has to be a process consuming it.
    Let us know which one that is.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Install is "headless" and don't have "remote access" !   All O/S 's are WIN XP Home or Vista Home Premium !   I guess I'll have to spring for an upgrade to one of my O/S 's ! Have already pre-ordered WIN 7 Home Premium (unfortunately did that before I had installed WHS). Will have to see if there is a possibility of upgrading the WIN 7 "pre-order" .

Paul
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Every Windows operating system includes the Terminal Services client software. To connect to your server using Remote Desktop (unsupported):
    • On any computer running a version of Windows, Start/Run/type mstsc and press Enter (or the equivalent for Vista/Win 7)
    • Type the name (or IP address) of your server and press Enter.
    • When prompted for credentials, use the user Administrator, and the password you set for the Windows Home Server console.
    You will be connected to your server using Remote Desktop. Be cautious; this is not a supported way of accessing your server and there are tools available here that will severely damage your server (i.e. significant or total data loss) if used incorrectly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Ken:

Thanks very much. Works fine. I'm only going to use this to verify issues like the one I posted.

Had to find out how to invoke "run" . (Win Key  +R) . Was fine once I figured that out (different from XP).

Thanks Again,

Paul
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:36 PM
  • The equivalent for Vista is actually to type it in the Start Search box in the Start menu...
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:56 PM
  • For some reason typing "run" in the start box doesn't do it on my machine. That's alright , I have the other way (Windows Key + R).

Thanks,

Paul
    • Marked as answer by boontonflyer Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:16 PM
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Arrgh...

I meant (and obviously didn't express it as well as I thought) that you should type mstsc in the Start Search box, not run .
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Additional info on original question. 

Logged into WHS (using "mstsc" ) and   used Task Manager  to determine that the process that is using the large amount of memory is "myAgtSvc.exe".

If I log off the WHS and restart WHS (from the WHS console function on a client computer)  the WHS "System Info Console Screen" shows a more normal situation [~~ 25 % memory usage and low WHS processor activity].

Not a big problem but just curious what this process does/controls or whether it's just an anomaly of my hardware flavor (ie Acer WHS implementation) !

Thanks,

Paul

• Edited by boontonflyer Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:31 AM Corrected spelling on process in question
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:16 PM
  • Something makes me this that that's part of the anti-virus that Acer distributes on their servers.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Had removed the McAfee AV program this morning.  Will keep an eye on the situation and let you know if it reoccurs!

Paul

9-17-09  12:25 AM EDT:

Monitored this for several days. The program "myAgtSvc.exe" is the culprit.  It apparently is part of the McAfee AV product software. I haven't figured out exactly what causes it to start  but "restarting" the WHS (from client console) stops it. Will have to monitor further to try to see what starts it. 

Paul

9-21-09 6:30AM EDT:

Found I could not log onto to the WHS (from any client)!. Took a look at the WHS (using MSTSC access).  Found that "myAgtSvc.exe" was running.  Stopped this program and then could log onto the WHS (using WHS console function).

Paul
    • Edited by boontonflyer Monday, September 21, 2009 10:55 AM Addn'l note re: "myAgtSvc.exe"
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:49 PM