WHS Drive removal very very slow RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a WHS which needs more diskspace. So I want to replace one of my 1TB drives. Ths drive has 10% free.

I selected a disk for removal in WHS console, completed the screens (sufficient room to keep duplication) after which WHS goes to work. At the moment it has completed roughly 25% of the progress bar in ... wait for it .... 36 hours !! I've confirmed the process is not hung but it's progress is really slowly...

any ideas in what's causing this? and what I can do to speed this up? What happens when I reboot?

remarks:
    The "cancel"button is greyed out
    Writeback cache on the drives are enabled
    Cpu mostly at 50% (amd 4850e) i.e. 1 core constantly at 100% (strange?)
    75% memory is free

Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:31 AM

Answers

• It's done! The data is still there .

I checked event logs, performed chkdsk's on all partitions and disks but no errors and warnings. So I cannot detect any hardware fault. But it is strange the disk removal took 6 days but ended succesfully.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, November 27, 2009 2:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by BartS. _ Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:02 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    which is the version number of your server?
    Is there enough free space in the storage pool? (The better way is to add the new disk first and remove the old disk after, if the connections are available in your hardware config.)
    And yes, removing a disk can be an annoying slow process, as other people experienced as well.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Olaf,

Even after removal of one of my drives there should be enough space in the storage pool although not a whole lot. Further, there was no room to connect a new drive first.

I can't check version number. The server almost freezes and gets even more slow  when I want to check the version number.It even has difficulty keeping up with mouse movements.  Anyway, updates are on so the WHS should be on the latest software level. it's been 50 hours now and we're roughly at 50%.

I really really hope my data is still there when this is finished in a week or so...... or i'll be very very upset.

Best greetings fromthe netherlands
    Bart
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:05 AM
  • Olaf,

Even after removal of one of my drives there should be enough space in the storage pool although not a whole lot. Further, there was no room to connect a new drive first.

I can't check version number. The server almost freezes and gets even more slow  when I want to check the version number.It even has difficulty keeping up with mouse movements.  Anyway, updates are on so the WHS should be on the latest software level. it's been 50 hours now and we're roughly at 50%.

I really really hope my data is still there when this is finished in a week or so...... or i'll be very very upset.

Best greetings fromthe netherlands
    Bart
    In addition to what Olaf said, that particular hard drive may be failing (or the drive the data is landing on as well).
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:59 AM
  • I checked in the eventviewer. No system alerts or warnigns about any faulty disk or other hardware. What I did find though are many application warnings:

"wuaueng.dll (884) SUS20ClientDataStore a request to read from file c::/............/datastore.edb succeeded but took a long  time  (245 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. Other I/O request also have taken abnormally long"

Monday, November 23, 2009 10:59 AM
  • I checked in the eventviewer. No system alerts or warnigns about any faulty disk or other hardware. What I did find though are many application warnings:

"wuaueng.dll (884) SUS20ClientDataStore a request to read from file c::/............/datastore.edb succeeded but took a long  time  (245 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. Other I/O request also have taken abnormally long"

Did you try running chkdsk /r on that drive (or just use the script found in the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors to check everything at once)?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:22 AM
  • Well , chkdsk won't run while the drive removal is still active. "the disk is being used by another process...."

I'm at 75% now whoooohoooo!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:44 PM
  • It's done! The data is still there .

I checked event logs, performed chkdsk's on all partitions and disks but no errors and warnings. So I cannot detect any hardware fault. But it is strange the disk removal took 6 days but ended succesfully.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, November 27, 2009 2:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by BartS. _ Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:02 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:24 PM
  • It's indeed strange, and if you are registered on Connect (or would do that) I recommend to issue a bug report on that. Even if it would be the "normal speed", I agree, that all, what takes over a few hours, is too slow.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:04 PM
  • i have a comparable problem

On my homeserver , a CuV4X with P3 866mhz with 1Gb ram i added a 1TB samsung  drive on a PCI SATA

250 GB IDE drive and a 100GB drive on a pci SATA card already in the storage pool.

After adding the big drive i wanted to remove the smaller SATA one. The remove program is running now for 6 hours I accessed the taskmanager, cpu load is at 1-10 % so something seems wrong. the status bar is at 25% and does not move anymore the last 3 hours. What sould i do?

arnoud

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Arnoud,

I would leave it running and check if one of your disks dropped into PIO mode. If anything else, open a new thread in which you describe the problem. That way your problems gets more attention.

Monday, May 31, 2010 5:15 AM
  • ok, i checked hd and all three are running DMA mode,

so i will open a new thread

Monday, May 31, 2010 4:05 PM