WHS Vista Client has started locking up when automatic backup runs RRS feed

• Question

• I've had my WHS installed and working fine for months.  One of my client PCs has started to fail automatic backups with the following symptoms;

1.  For two consecutive nights now the PC (Vista 32) has frozen when the automatic backup is kicked off.  There is nothing in the event viewer to indicate what happened.  The machine is frozen at the desktop with the blue home server icon in the lower right that has the info bubble "an automatic backup is starting".

2.  All network, WHS and client computer components have been rebooted.

3.  Manual backups of the machine WORK FINE over the same network.

4.  All WHS shares show up for the machine, it has console access to WHS, can remote desktop to the server, etc.

5.  Kaspersky anti-virus shows no log errors, activity, etc, at the time the failure occurs.

Review of the event viewer on the client machine shows no health problems at all, and at the time of the failure it simply appears to be running and then all logging stops when the WHS starts the backup.

The event on the WHS for the cause of the back up failure is "The Network Connection between the computer and server was lost".  This machine has a gigabit wired connection to an enterprise class network switch as does the WHS.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:14 PM

Answers

• I wanted to provide some followup on this Lara as I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Prior to seeing your latest message I was able to work around the issue by doing two things;

1.  Unchecking both power saving features (sleep as well as link speed change during sleep) check boxes for the Intel NIC that is in the client.

2.  Defaulting all power settings for the power scheme being used.

Between these two things it appears that the client is now backing up automatically.  It is bizarre that it worked for so long with the previous settings and then stopped working.  I have only had a single lockup of the client since making these changes and I suspect that it was unrelated to WHS doing a backup.

Thanks.

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:00 PM

All replies

• jmpage7310 said:

I've had my WHS installed and working fine for months.  One of my client PCs has started to fail automatic backups with the following symptoms;

1.  For two consecutive nights now the PC (Vista 32) has frozen when the automatic backup is kicked off.  There is nothing in the event viewer to indicate what happened.  The machine is frozen at the desktop with the blue home server icon in the lower right that has the info bubble "an automatic backup is starting".

2.  All network, WHS and client computer components have been rebooted.

3.  Manual backups of the machine WORK FINE over the same network.

4.  All WHS shares show up for the machine, it has console access to WHS, can remote desktop to the server, etc.

5.  Kaspersky anti-virus shows no log errors, activity, etc, at the time the failure occurs.

Review of the event viewer on the client machine shows no health problems at all, and at the time of the failure it simply appears to be running and then all logging stops when the WHS starts the backup.

The event on the WHS for the cause of the back up failure is "The Network Connection between the computer and server was lost".  This machine has a gigabit wired connection to an enterprise class network switch as does the WHS.

What recent automatic updates were installed on the machine and have you tried uninstalling them? Patch Tuesday may have hit the client a little too hard. If this is not a case of automatic updates causing the behavior, or even if it is, please file a bug on Connect and include client and server CABs.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Lara,

I did notice the KBs that went in on Tuesday (KB958687 and KB890830) but as other WHS users with these updates don't have the problem I thought it was unlikely.

Also a fact to note is that my PC is sleeping when the automatic backup begins so it is possible that when it resumes out of sleep something in the behavior has changed that is causing this to happen.

I will do a test to prove that it only happens when the PC comes out of sleep and then try uninstalling the last service update to see if that has an impact on the problem and file a bug report, thanks.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Okay, so now I've confirmed that the machine backs up automatically just fine as long as it is not sleeping when the automatic backup kicks off.

Are there any sleep settings that I should review that could be involved with the lockups?
    Friday, January 16, 2009 3:35 PM
  • jmpage7310 said:

Okay, so now I've confirmed that the machine backs up automatically just fine as long as it is not sleeping when the automatic backup kicks off.

Are there any sleep settings that I should review that could be involved with the lockups?

1. start>devmgmt.msc
    2. click on Network adapters> Select the adapter for your wired connection
    3. Right click>properties>Power Management> remove the check next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

This may or may not help. You might also try rolling back the driver on the driver tab for the network adapter. Other settings to check would be when your HDDs are spinning down (Control panel>power options>change plan settings>change advanced settings). I don't know why this would cause your system to lock up but it's a troubleshooting step.  

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, January 16, 2009 9:41 PM
  • I wanted to provide some followup on this Lara as I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Prior to seeing your latest message I was able to work around the issue by doing two things;

1.  Unchecking both power saving features (sleep as well as link speed change during sleep) check boxes for the Intel NIC that is in the client.

2.  Defaulting all power settings for the power scheme being used.

Between these two things it appears that the client is now backing up automatically.  It is bizarre that it worked for so long with the previous settings and then stopped working.  I have only had a single lockup of the client since making these changes and I suspect that it was unrelated to WHS doing a backup.

Thanks.

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:00 PM