Backup Error after removing a HD froma client computer RRS feed

• Question

• I can't figure this one out.

Ok, on one of my desktop pcs when I originally installed the WHS client software I had a C: for the system/programs and an M: for media. On the WHS console I went to configure the backup for this system and told it to back up both C and M drives.

Since then I removed the M drive from the computer as I no longer have any use for it. I went back into the WHS console and selected the backup options for this system to make sure it wouldnt try to back up M anymore since its not there. I updated it and said only to back up the C: hard drive. Then upon doing the first backup with the M: drive gone the backup fails. I check the details and it says the backup of C: is complete and the backup of M: has failed due to the drive missing. Obviously it shouldn't even be trying to backup M, so it shouldn't fail.

Anyhow, as a solution I thought would fix it for sure.... I ended up uninstalling the client software from the pc. I went into the WHS console and deleted all previous backups from the system. Went to the settings and had it clean the backups to make sure they all went away. Then I went and deleted the computer from the WHS console. There was no trace of this computer on the console.

At this point I install the client software on the desktop computer and intend to set it up as if it were just a new computer to the WHS. Everything goes well. I log in to the console and configure the backups. It only shows the C: available to back up. Everything looks fine. I do a backup and sure enough the backup fails and the details show that it failed because it couldnt back up the M: hard drive. In the configure backup options M: isnt even an option for the computer... How can I get WHS to stop trying to back up this nonexistant M: drive???

Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:28 PM

Answers

• Yes, we found this bug too,  it is fixed, but unfortunately in a post-CTP build. Please ignore the WHS backup complaints about M: - everything should actually work OK, you will be able to restore from C: if needed.  Next published build will have this issue fixed.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 6:15 AM

All replies

• Yes, we found this bug too,  it is fixed, but unfortunately in a post-CTP build. Please ignore the WHS backup complaints about M: - everything should actually work OK, you will be able to restore from C: if needed.  Next published build will have this issue fixed.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 6:15 AM
  • In these cases automatic back up keeps indicating a "failed" back up - results in recurring "ballon" messages to ALL computers - with three teenagers each assuming the message refers to their computer - explaining that it is Mom's computer  brings the response "get it offf"!!.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Is there anyway via the registry or a similar means to remove the drive from the list that will be backed up? (I had a look but couldn't find anything that matched the volume name).

I'm getting this on two PCs and it's super-annoying Sad
    Monday, May 7, 2007 6:20 AM
  • If you'd like to remove the warnings, then you can click on the network status icon and ignore the messages about the failed backups. However you might still get additional warnings when future backups continue to "fail".

The best way to eliminate the warnings would be to turn off automatic backups on the problematic computer. Do this by opening the console, selecting "Computers & Backup", right-clicking the affected computer, and selecting "Turn Off Backups" from the list. You will still be able to run manual backups on this system, but you will not longer receive error messages.

I hope that helps, and I know we are all looking forward to the final release!
    Monday, May 7, 2007 6:24 AM
  • I changed my harddrive because I had a HD crash.
    I cloned my system to another HD before.
    The cloned drive is not able to be backed up by WHS - a backup ends always with an ERROR
    WHS  is always trying to backup  my nonexisting  Harddrive.
    There is a backup of my crashed drive status-complete and i can´t delete it.
    Uninstall WHS client and newinstall doesn`t work.

Monday, May 7, 2007 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

i had a similar problem after resizing 2 partitions (http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1560617&SiteID=50).

The automatic backups after the resize showed a failure for the resized system partition. After i did a manual backup i see the back for this drive 2 times: one which failed, and one which succeeded!

WHS has seems to have trouble with resized partitions (cluster structure changed?).

Walter

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:55 PM
  • Hi Walter

It works !!!

I changed my server HD and did a complete new install of WHS.

I removed the connector software from clients and cleaned their systems with ccleaner.

Now all is well.

kind regards and much thxs, Yuma

Monday, May 14, 2007 2:06 PM