Help with updating a retirement account RRS feed

• Question

• I have an account set up as a Retirement Account with the Track Cash Transactions check box checked (to on).  I just tried to update the account, as it now has entirely new investments as compared to when I last updated.  I went through the update process adding the new investments, balances, and prices, and when I finished, it appears that nothing happened.  When I looked at the summary of the account, all the old investments and share positions were there, and there was no record of the new investments.

Does anybody know if I turn off the Track Cash Transactions box if it will do what I need?  Really all I want it to do is update the account with all the share positions I entered during the "Update Retirement Account" process.  I don't care about transactions or buys/sells--just the final share balance.  I'm tempted to just delete the account and start over, but there has to be an easier way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:29 PM

All replies

• There is a check box to enable the cash account in the Account Settings. (Though as I write this I wonder if a 401(k) doesn't require the cash account and disable that check box.)

I do not recommend the Update Retirement Account method. It has never (over a decade) been reliable. Pathetic that Microsoft NEVER pondered, apparently, making it work right.

For what you are asking to do, I'd suggest this: Account Summary has an Update Account link at the bottom. This is good for changing numbers of shares and share values. It does not support adding, say, a new fund. For that, I'd suggest Add Shares transactions in the Investment Account. Say you close out one fund and add another. First go into Account Summary | Update Account and zero out the old fund shares. The do an Add Shares Investment Transaction in the amount/share value of the new fund.

Friday, January 6, 2012 4:05 AM