Can NO LONGER CONNECT to Home Device From Work PC Via Internet Explorer; Get Error 00000197, 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Alright...roll your sleeves up.

Love the beta here as we can all experiment to see what works; and what doesn't.

Here's my setup, home laptop WinXP Pro, SP2 wireless connection. Installation of Mesh went fine. At work (XPPro, SP2, proxy), on the other hand, it will install properly and update, configure, but even after restart does not sign in locally; ever. I can (or could :() sign into Live Desktop as well as connect to home computer from Internet Explorer, though. So that means I have active, synched folders on home computer but at work must upload them to Live Desktop through IE (v. 6) in order to get them into these Live files; can't synch with work pc since work pc won't sign into Mesh locally. (I'm alright with this since work probably doesn't want the constant unauthorized remote connection anyway on the network) so it is unable to be a Device because of these configuration issues, not because it is or is not authorized. (Configuration settings in a minute...)

But the last three days, I can NO LONGER CONNECT to my home laptop Device. So there are two issues: 1.) Cannot configure work computer as a Device in my Mesh, or at least it will not sign on to Mesh except through IE. 2.) Can no longer connect to home computer via IE from work.

Here are some configuration details. At work, when I was installing Mesh locally, I had to have the anti-virus disabled and the firewall client on (bypasses proxy firewall) in order to get as far as I did. Tried it every which way, and this was the only way. And it worked for a month while firewall client was on and antivirus on and I was accessing Mesh via IE. Of course, every time I boot pc, the local Mesh tries to sign on but fails. Sometimes I exit, sometimes I don't. But now, with firewall client on or off, antivirus on or off, failed local Mesh sign on active or exited, I am unable to connect to home laptop Device.

Two days ago, I tried deleting Temp files (on work pc), and learned later that Mesh logs depend on them. Figuring that this is why Mesh would no longer work, I uninstalled Mesh at work and have reinstalled it thinking it would begin a new family of temp log data files. However, the reinstall made no difference, I am still unable to connect to home Device (and it still fails local log on to Mesh).

On my home computer (I use Live One Care, but it was not an issue when I could connect to home computer from work) I had downloaded Firefox 3 on Monday and thought that was causing the problem so uninstalled that and went back to version 2. No change. I had also started an install of XP Service Pack 3 on Monday, but had to quit because of time and cancelled that. Not sure if that might be related. (Am currently installing SP3 on home computer right now...brought it to work to troubleshoot.)

From another thread I saw that Mesh reads same proxy info from IE and suggested if IE can connect, so should Mesh be able to. This is not true for me at work. Since my Mesh credentials are different from my work Network Username and Password, I am wondering if there might be some conflict or confusion on what credentials I am attempting to sign on locally to Mesh on my work pc.

And when I now try to connect to my home Device from IE at work, I get Error 00000197, 10.

Anybody brave enough to take on any of these issues? :)
    Friday, June 20, 2008 9:18 PM

Answers

• Ben,

Just completed submission of Bug Report through Connect.

The Connect Feedback ID is: 352713.

Thank you for the advice/direction.

-Van

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you haven't already done so, could you please submit a bug report with you logs?  Instructions are at the top of the forums.  If you submit through Connect you can post your Connect Feedback ID here so that others can view and validate your bug.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Ben,

Just completed submission of Bug Report through Connect.

The Connect Feedback ID is: 352713.

Thank you for the advice/direction.

-Van

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:09 PM