New to having a home server. RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought an HP MediaSmart Server EX495
     and it comes with MS Home server. I also just purchased a Linksys wireless router with the DD-WRT firmware. I'm wondering if since the options on my wireless router allow me to lock things down pretty tight, if that will be enough to protect my server. I also have 1 license left for ESET Smart Security V.4 and was thinking about installing that on the server but I'm now a bit worried about the earlier comment about the firewall locking me out. Any comments/suggestions?

Current equipment:
    HP MediaSmart Server EX495 w/1.5TB SATA drive.
    HP Dv6 1361 Notebook
    Dell XPS 720
    all connected through a Linksys WRT 54G with the dd-wrt firmware installed
    Notebook and Dell computers are running Windows 7 Ultimate and the MediaSmart Server is running Windows home Server
    • Moved by Steve Winograd Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:57 AM WHS (From:Security, privacy, and user accounts)
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:34 AM

All replies

• Regarding antivirus software: you should only install AV software on your server which the author has designed for use on Windows Home Server. Users who install other AV software have found that the AV software may detect normal Windows Home Server activity as virus activity, leading to data loss.

As for protecting your server, by default the firewall is turned on, and ports are correctly configured for using it in your home, so ports not used are blocked, ports used only in the home have a scope of "local subnet only", etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:30 PM