Help with hiding video files. RRS feed

• Question

• My home server is running great and have had no problems with My Movies add-in, BUT I would like to be able to hide some of my video files from my young son. Under the "videos" file I have my movies in folders by rating. Example "Rated G, Rated PG, etc.... Is there any way of hiding or password protecting the Rated PG13, Rated R etc. folders from a user? And if possible can it be done on the shared folder as well as remoted access?
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:35 PM

All replies

• Create multiple shares, and grant you son only access to the shares you want. So instead of having one share called Movies with folder inside called Rated G, Rated PG etc, make multiple shares called Rated G, Rated PG etc.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Sometimes the answer is so clear you don't even see it. Your tip worked great! My shared folders work perfectly, BUT (and you knew it was coming) when I log in remotely and access Web Guide videos then videos folder then videos PG I get this error . "Some folders could not be accessed. The configured WebGuide windows account may not have permission to access them or they may have been removed". Yes there are videos in all of the , Videos PG, Videos PG13, Videos R folders.  Also, when you enter WebGuide in the "..." setting menu under Advanced you will see "videos". It reads D:\shares\Videos PG;D:\shares Videos PG13;D:\shares\Videos R. On the home server console under Setting, WebGuide, Configure WebGuide, Advanced. It reads...D:\shares\ Videos PG etc....And enable video sharing is check and enable streaming is checked along with the correct video formats (mpg,wmv,avi,mp4). Any clues?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:41 PM
  • I've never used WebGuide, but it sounds to me that WebGuide might be running as a custom user account and not you (or your son). I think you must identify that user and add read access to the shares for that user. Check in the console under user accounts to see if there exists a WebGuide user.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:41 PM
  • I checked that also. I'm setup as the Admin with full access.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:02 PM
  • My best tip would be to ask the same question over at the WebGuide forums http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/forums/
    According to the WebGuide FAQ (http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/whs_faq.aspx)WebGuide reads user permissions out of the Windows groups (RO_3, RW_3 for photos, RO_4, RW_4 for music, RO_5,RW_5 for videos).

When you create the new shares these Windows groups probably don't have access to the new shares. Giving these groups access might solve the problem, but you might also end up back where you started with you son gaining access to all folders again.

Messing about and changing file/share access on the home server is absolutely unsupported to quote another user on the forum. But if you know what you are doing I can't see the harm of trying to give the group RO_5 read access to one of the new shares. If you proceed you do this at your own risk:

1. Remote desktop to your server and logon as administrator
    2. Open Windows Explorer
    3. Go to d:\Shares\ and right click on "Videos R" and select properties
    4. Select the "Security" tab
    5. Add group RO_5 with read permissions, take care not to remove or change anything else

Worst case you can delete the share and re-create it (after first copying the files out if you want to keep them).

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:44 PM
  • ... I can't see the harm of trying to give the group RO_5 read access to one of the new shares. ...
    Please don't do this. (And Pål, please don't advise someone to do it; if you don't see the harm I think you don't have a clear understanding of what you're recommending or how Windows Home Server manages security.) 

Windows Home Server manages security for the shares created through the console using those groups. As you create shares, new groups are created; as you remove shares, groups are removed. Users are added to and removed from those groups through the console interfaces that you use to grant them access to the shares.

Changing the security behind the scenes as Pål is recommending will have unanticipated side effects, because as you work in the console maintaining security there, you're also affecting what you've changed outside the console. In addition, it's possible to reach a state where you no longer have access to some files inside one or more shares. 

For the OP, the best bet is going to be to consult the WebGuide forums. But before you do that, reboot your server and see what happens.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Actually got the thing to work. I just added NETWORK SERVICE to the securities and it work. But I still have one more problem with the WebGuide, but I will address that in the WebGuide forums. Thanks everyone for your help!
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:23 PM
  • I though I had a good idea on how WHS handles security, I could not see that adding read-access for a group on a single share could do any harm. But modifying or removing access is absolutely not a good idea. But I'm on your turf here, so I'll keep from giving such advice in the future.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:26 AM