Where can I find documentation about the mirroring capability of WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Where can I find out exactly what is involved in mirroring a drive in WHS 2011?  I've surfed around a lot and find a lot of questions but no actual documentation.

My primary question at this point is whether I have to mirror the whole physical drive or can just do a logical drive.   IOW, if I have one 2TB drive that's partitioned into 3 logical drives, can I just mirror one of the logical drives?

Thank you.

• Edited by Athena.. _ Saturday, April 21, 2012 3:56 PM
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 3:56 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server has no built-in mirroring. Windows Server 2008 R2 is the base operating system for Windows Home Server 2011; it does have software mirroring built in. You can learn a great deal about how to use software RAID by consulting Technet, but to answer your specific question, no it is not possible to mirror just one partition; you must mirror the entire volume.

I don't recommend the use of software mirroring (or other software RAID levels), by the way. It's not particularly hard to set up, but it doesn't perform all that well, and recovering a degraded array isn't as simple as Microsoft's documentation would have one believe. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:11 PM