Modern systems using floppies? RRS feed

• Question

• All was going fine with the install - RAID driver installed from mfr DVD and both 100 gig SATA hard drives found.  Good to go, I thought....

Then came the reboot.  F6 to install RAID driver....... into floppy drive A.

I didn't know modern systems still used floppy drives!!

Is there any way round this, or do I need to go and buy a floppy drive and some floppy disks?

Any help and advice much appreciated

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:48 AM

Answers

• You can put all the drivers you need on a USB flash type of drive.  Put them under a folder called   /drivers.  Evidently WHS looks for any /drivers under the root of connected drives and uses the drivers if found.  I had to do this for an Intel Pro 100 network card.  I used to have to install the driver after the installation of WHS, but the last couple of times with the flash drive connected during the install, it finds the drivers and I don't have to manually install them.  RCH
    Monday, June 18, 2007 6:10 PM

All replies

•  Gizzo wrote:

All was going fine with the install - RAID driver installed from mfr DVD and both 100 gig SATA hard drives found. Good to go, I thought....

Then came the reboot. F6 to install RAID driver....... into floppy drive A.

I didn't know modern systems still used floppy drives!!

Is there any way round this, or do I need to go and buy a floppy drive and some floppy disks?

Any help and advice much appreciated

The only ways around it, that I know of, would be to slipstream the textmode driver into the iso and reburn or use a USB floppy drive, if your mainboard doesn't have a floppy header.

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:59 AM
  • Many thanks for the help, SME.  Much appreciated.  Looks like I'll be off to PC World this evening.

And there was me thinking I'd seen the last of floppy disks and drives.......

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:35 PM
  • You should be able to put drivers onto a USB stick in the folder called \DRIVERS, and that will be picked up by setup.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:53 PM
  •  Michael Elizarov - MSFT wrote:
    You should be able to put drivers onto a USB stick in the folder called \DRIVERS, and that will be picked up by setup.

The "Server 2003" portion of the install process (The F6 step) does not support USB based storage options, either USB Floppy or USB memory sticks.  There are a few motherboards out there that can present a USB floppy as a standard floppy, but that's it, I believe.

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:48 PM
  • You can put all the drivers you need on a USB flash type of drive.  Put them under a folder called   /drivers.  Evidently WHS looks for any /drivers under the root of connected drives and uses the drivers if found.  I had to do this for an Intel Pro 100 network card.  I used to have to install the driver after the installation of WHS, but the last couple of times with the flash drive connected during the install, it finds the drivers and I don't have to manually install them.  RCH
    Monday, June 18, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Many thanks for your help with this one.  As recommended, I copied the drivers to a folder named drivers on a usb flash drive and it worked fine to get me through the text part of the Windows Server 2003 text portion of the setup.

Much appreciated

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:09 AM