Product key problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer that was bought last year.  It had gotten a virus and i had to wipe the computer.  I have the orignal disk of windows vista that came with the computer, i entered the product code and then had a power outage that wipe the computer.  So i am loaded vista again and this time when i put the product ocde in it tells me its invalid.  Windows has not fully loaded, so i have not other way to get to the product code.  Any ideas on where to get another code?

Thanks
    Dave
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hello corvair,

Unfortunetly, without access to Vista, you can't run a Diagnostic Report. Without it there is really no troubleshooting I could do. But I do have a few suggestions.

The first thing I suggest would be to call your Local Activation Call center and confirm the Product key is good (i'm sure it is, since it worked before, but just in case).  Also, be sure you have read the Product key off the Vista Retail box (or off the sticker on the side (or bottom) of the computer) correctly.

Activation Call Center list: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

If the key is good, then the problem you are seeing is (most likely) not a problem with the Product Key, but with Vista itself (maybe a bad install) and since you have not been able to load into Vista since you last installed it, I would qualify the problem as a Product Installation related issue. Microsoft supports all Product Instalation issues at no cost. Therefore, I suggest contacting Vista support at (800) 936-5800.  

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:14 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:42 PM