How to backup one external drive to another RRS feed

• Question

• I currently keep all of my pictures on one external HDD (500GB) and want to back them up to another external HDD (2TB). One care only gives you options for the file types you want to back up and not the locations of those files. I looked into the backups (via a mock restore) and the only files shown available for a restore were files from the C drive. One care appears to be backing up my C drive without issue.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't think One Care will back up files located on an external drive. To backup the files on your external drive just copy and paste them into a folder on the other external drive.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:26 AM
  • That is not really doable when I am dealing with a few hundred GB of data. I ran a backup using SyncToy (my FREE previous solution) and it took 27 minutes to only find 106 changes. Copying all of them to my internal drive over and over is not necessarily an option. Besides, I don't think they will fit.

It looks like there was quite a bit of "scope management" put in place when this product was developed. Are there any plans to add features such as this into the product in the future?

Thanks,
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:05 PM
  • The intent of One Care backup is to provide a basic backup solution for home users. It was never intended to have the power and configurability of a stand alone backup application.
    As far as I know there will not be any feature or functionality additions to One Care since it will no longer be available for retail sale in another month or so. See this announcement - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ebe7e8de-c7a2-41c7-9072-24d3a2bc04ec
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:35 PM
  • OneCare cannot backup *from* an external drive. Only internal drives are valid sources for backup.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:46 AM