Regarding Single Server deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
     What are the system and other requirements to setup a single server deployment??
     Infact, What I'm in need is, I want to install CRM 4.0 server in a machine having OS: Windows server 2003 and SQL server 2005 Sp2 without using the main network domain. IE, as a standalone server!!! I dont want to use our main domain controller.
    Is it possible??
    Thanks N regards, Krishna Raj R MS CRM MCBMSS :: Microsoft CRM Consultant
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you can install the crm server on a ad-controller, there is only a warning in the installation. There is no need for a small business server. Make your testserver to his own ad-controller and install sql and crm on it, it will work.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:25 AM
  • As said Michael, you can install Active Directory on your single server but it is recommended to install AD first

So you can:
    Install Windows on server
    Install AD (command dcpromo.exe)
    Install SQL+RS
    Install CRM

You will be totally independant from your enteprise infrastructure
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com You will find: Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms) ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import) View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others) And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:12 AM

All replies

• It is possible but you will possibly face performance problem as SQL and CRM will be on the same server...
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com You will find: Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms) ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import) View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others) And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:58 AM
  • HI,
     I'm planing just to use it as a test CRM server. Thats why!. If so, while the installation of CRM server, in the "Select a Organizational Unit" window, we have to select an Active Directory Organization Unit (DomainController) , right??
    If I'm not planing to use our main domain controller, then what cani select?? Need to add a local domain controller in the AD?? How ??

I came to know that, The computer on which Microsoft Dynamics CRM is running cannot function as an Active Directory domain controller, unless it is running Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition R2!!!! So, my Server OS should be Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition R2 if I try to set my Active Directory domain controller as the local machine itself as i mentioned above??

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

you can install the crm server on a ad-controller, there is only a warning in the installation. There is no need for a small business server. Make your testserver to his own ad-controller and install sql and crm on it, it will work.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Hi Michael Sulz,
      Thanks a lot for your reply. But still need a clarification of this statement...
       "you can install the crm server on a ad-controller, there is only a warning in the installation" 
      Can you make me more clear??
      My current senario is,
            1. I've logged in as local administrator in my machine.
            2. I've installed Windows Server 2003 OS and SQL Server 2005 + SP2.
            3. While Installing CRM server, I dont want to use our network domain as AD Organizational Unit. I want a -
                dedicated local domain for CRM as I dont need to access the CRM web from any other machine!!!
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:59 AM
  • As said Michael, you can install Active Directory on your single server but it is recommended to install AD first

So you can:
    Install Windows on server
    Install AD (command dcpromo.exe)
    Install SQL+RS
    Install CRM

You will be totally independant from your enteprise infrastructure
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:12 AM