WHS stops working RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have installed the WHS on a new PC, all is fine for a week or so then it stops working. I can no longer connect to it through the network and the remote sit stops working as well. On the pc the red hd light is on full time, and I can no longer ping the machine on the network as well. I reboot it, and it works fine for a while then the same thing happens again. Does anyone have any ideas? Could this be a faulty drive? or a problem with the network driver?
    Monday, June 23, 2008 10:45 PM

Answers

• It's not a requirement, just a recommendation, to use only hardware on the Windows Server Catalog of hardware compatible with Windows Server 2003. Hardware that's been certified as compatible will have drivers known to work, and will have gone through some level of testing designed to flush out at least common failure modes.

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like you need to re-connect your video/keyboard etc locally, and check what is happening on the server if you cannot get in by the remote desktop. When you do, you should check the logs to see what errors are shown.  Was this a server 2003 compatible motherboard when you installed WHS, that is, could you use all the server 2003 drivers for any drivers which were required?

Colin

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

It is a MSI Mother Board (MS-7267), Intel core 2 Duo E4600 with 2gig Ram. The Mother Board came with Winds 2K3 drivers.

Looking at the error logs for the system I have noted the following that have popped up form time to time:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0.

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

I don't know if these have anything to do with my problem. I have installed another driver for the Realtek network adaptor, as this was mentioned in some of the threds. It is running again now, I have left the keyboard and mouse plugged in with a monitor so I can look at what is happening next time it goes down. I usually leave these unplugged, and the box runs in the garage out of the way, this shouldn't worry it?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:12 PM
  • The error you describe indicates that you have failing hardware. My bet would be on the motherboard, since the error message you copied points in that direction (the controller it talks about is on the motherboard). But you should check the drive itself, and the cabling, in case that's where the problem really lies.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Thanks, everything appears OK. I have had a couple of comments regarding the need to have a server compatable mother board to run WHS, is this correct?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:47 PM
  • It's not a requirement, just a recommendation, to use only hardware on the Windows Server Catalog of hardware compatible with Windows Server 2003. Hardware that's been certified as compatible will have drivers known to work, and will have gone through some level of testing designed to flush out at least common failure modes.

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:45 AM