Off Topic: Restoring a windowsimagebackup to another computer or at least extract data files RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

We have made disk backup on a regular basis using vista ultimate's backup option.  This was done on a Compaq v3000 but now that machine is no longer available.  I was trying to use the USB HD to restore to this HP laptop.  When I go into to vista's restore from backup, I cannot find the device even though it is located in the finder.

I used the installation DVD and live one care to try and locate the drive but to no avail.

I realize it's a different machine but using the same vista original DVD. 

Is there any way to restore?  I know the drivers are different, can vista adjust accordingly?  If not, is there a way to get the files from the VHD file?

Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:19 AM

All replies

• Though you are Off Topic for these Windows Live OneCare forums and I will be moving your post to the Off Topic folder, I found the following link about the VHD (Virtual Hard Drive) backup in Vista. It appears it may be possible to mount the drive to a system using VirtualPC software, though it's rather technical.

http://blogs.technet.com/dwayne_fernandez/archive/2008/03/07/backup-to-vhd.aspx

If I were you I'd leave the laptop alone (assuming it's got Vista already) and simply look at the many articles about mounting the VHD to read files from it. Trying to use an installation disk on a different PC will most likely fail and simply mess up the second PC too. All you need is a PC with a similar version of Vista on it, the articles should mention what's required.

Here's another more complete article about the process:

http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2008/01/tell-me-vhdmount-story-installing-just.html

OneCareBear

Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Thanks for the info.  I was able to open it using mac osx parallel's explorer.  However, I can't seem to copy the file.  It asks for a password and then the file disappears after i key in my password.

Anyway, glad that there's progress.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 2:37 PM