backup RRS feed

• Question

• if i delete something off my computer when i run back up again after i have initially backed up the files,will my deletion carry over to the next backup and delete those files from it? if not, how do i delete the files from the backup?
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• Backups are incremental. That means that your first backup saves a compressed copy of all files per the selection in our backup plan and catalog of those files. The next time backup runs, it updates the catalog to "remember" the state of the PC at the moment of backup and backs up any new or changed files for your plan. Files that were deleted between the first and second backup do not get removed. If you choose to run a restore you can restore to the latest catalog or PC state or any point before since the older backups can be used to bring deleted files back.
    The purpose of backup is to allow you to recover deleted files, including those that you may have deleted at some point after the first backup and only just realized were missing or corrupt some time later, when multiple backups may have run.

There is no way to delete these files from your backup. If you perform a new, full backup after wiping out the old backups (see the FAQ at the top of this forum) your new backup will only contain the current state of the PC.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:26 AM