none
Difficulty with an older version of Microsoft Money RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the 2004 version of Microsoft Money.  When balancing my account I entered a 'Service Charge' for the first time ever, as I had a one off charge that appeared on my statement.  While balancing the account I realised that I'd forgotten to enter a transfer between our accounts, so I postponed the balance.  When I go back to complete the balance I am warned that I can't change any service charges that entered during my first attempt at balancing.  However, when the first screen of the balance menu shows up the standard 'ALC<402c>'  appears in the service charge.  The program won't let me continue with this in the service charge box, but the box is not highlighted, and I can't do anything to delete it.  How do I get rid of this so I can continue with my balance?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Cal

You've solved my problem in a round about way.  I tried doing what you suggested, but it didn't work, however, your comment about this kind of problem usually occuring with older versions than 2004 got me thinking.  I checked again and found I was using a much older version than I thought.  I found my 2004 disc and installed it, and voila problem solved!  Thanks for your help.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:33 AM

All replies

• Can you restore a backup file that pre-dates that balance attempt?

One thing that would be expected to fix this is to install a newer version appropriate to your country. I understand that you don't want to do this, but it would be better than not being able to use Money.

The error you described seems to have occurred with much older versions of Money rather than Money 2004.

Here is one idea, but it may not help. Make an extra copy and/or backup of your file before starting this, in case it causes more problems. If you can leave balancing for a while, manually balance by making the numbers right.

Then to start fresh and declare the account balanced,
    mark all entries balanced.  Select to show only unreconciled
    transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
    Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
    transactions until none are left showing.  Do not change the
    starting date or starting balance.  The starting balance is the sum
    of the transactions that have already been marked as reconciled.
    Then balance making the ending balance match the known balance.
    Choose the balance date to be the day after your last transaction.
    This is not the normal procedure.  It starts you with an amnesty
    for former balancing.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Hi Cal

You've solved my problem in a round about way.  I tried doing what you suggested, but it didn't work, however, your comment about this kind of problem usually occuring with older versions than 2004 got me thinking.  I checked again and found I was using a much older version than I thought.  I found my 2004 disc and installed it, and voila problem solved!  Thanks for your help.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:33 AM