Email Campaign to Primary Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Really simple one - but it's Friday and my brain has stopped working.

I need to find all primary contacts based on their Account (Org) having over 50 employees. I then need to add these primary contacts into a marketing list from which I add them into a quick campaign and email them etc.

Having a nightmare getting just primary contacts out of the system - any ideas?

Thanks

Friday, June 19, 2009 3:44 PM

Answers

• Go to Advanced Find and search for Contacts. Go to the drop-down and select Related entities-Account (Primary contact). Specify the criteria as No. of employess greater than 50.

No need for workflows.

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Friday, June 19, 2009 8:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, June 19, 2009 9:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Friday, August 21, 2009 3:16 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 8:42 PM

All replies

• Just so you know, you are not required to put the contact information into a marketing list in order to run a quick campaign.  Try this and see if you get the result you need.

Open Advanced Find
    Select Accounts
    Use the search criteria: Status = Active, No of Emp > 50

Edit Columns and remove any fields you don't want.  Change the drop down from Account to Primary Contact and add the Contact fields you want.  Save and run the query.  Select all records on the page and run a quick campaign.

If you want the result set in a Marketing List, take the same approach and use the Manage Member button to create and set your search criteria.  This method leverages the Advanced Find feature so the steps should be similar
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, June 19, 2009 4:39 PM
  • many thanks for the response Donna (I have been trying this) :)

....but if I wanted to email the primary contact records after they hadn't had been added to a marketing list / campaign (and I do want these in a campaign to mesure what was sent and what had failed), it would go to the email address on the Accounts entity instead of the Primary Contacts email address since the base entity in my advanced find was accounts.

Is my understanding correct.

• Edited by MSCRM MAN Friday, June 19, 2009 4:59 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 4:50 PM
  • yes you're right, no wonder you are struggling :) 

I think the easiest way to do this is to flag the Contact records that are associated to the Account record as a Primary Contact.  You can add a simple bit field to the Contact record and use that flag to filter on to create a Marketing List of Contacts.  Once you have the flag then you can filter on only the Primary Contact whose Parent Account record has greater than 50 employees.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, June 19, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Thought so and that's what I've done using a workflow - this is a serious flaw in MS CRM in my view (and I am a flag waver of MS CRM)!!!

Thanks for your help and efforts Donna!

Friday, June 19, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Go to Advanced Find and search for Contacts. Go to the drop-down and select Related entities-Account (Primary contact). Specify the criteria as No. of employess greater than 50.

No need for workflows.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Friday, June 19, 2009 8:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Friday, June 19, 2009 9:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Friday, August 21, 2009 3:16 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Leon, I don't think that meets the requirement of having a list of Contacts that are related to the Account as the Primary Contact.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, June 19, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Apologies if I'm missing something, it is quite early here ;)

The query I've suggested will list contacts marked at the primary contact on an account and then further restrict it to just those accounts with greater than 50 employees. I tested it on the VPC to be sure. Please note I'm suggesting using the primary contact related entity relationship, not the parent customer.

Leon Tribe

Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks this will give me the Primary Contacts relkated to the query which is excellent!

However, when I go to check the adavnced find just to make sure in my mind the (as one would) but I still pull in the account name of the primary contact record since Parent Customer (Account name) is blank. Any way of showing the associated primary contact account name?
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Unfortunately it seems as if the primary contact relationship is not exposed in the column related entities so we can't select the relationship and show the account name of the account to which the contact is linked as the primary contact, most annoying.

Leon Tribe
    http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    or hear me tweet @leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Yes I agree.

This is most annoying!!! But at least we have a solution to the original issue. I'm going to try and get around the "account name" by using some sort of workflow or plug-in.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated :)

Friday, August 21, 2009 3:18 PM