DropDown Item Selected.. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement where there are 5items in a drop down--India,Aus,Uk,Pak and Others..So when i select others option in drop down i should be able to navigate to a text box on the design form and when i enter the text and click submit the text should be added to the drop down.
    • Moved by Mike Feng Friday, November 2, 2012 5:12 AM WinForms (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    • Moved by Bob Wu-MT Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:10 AM (From:Windows Forms General)
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Reddy,

Welcome to the MSND Forum.

What is your application type? Winform? WPF? Asp.net?

And what program language do you use?

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hi Reddy,

1) If you are retrieving the dropdown list data from a DataBase Table then it is good and easy for you to store textbox entered  value  in database Table(save textbox value when user click submit button)

2) Again load/call  the Dropdown list code.

Now you can see new textbox entered value in dropdownlist.

PS.Shakeer Hussain

Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:34 PM
  • It is Winform and language is c#

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Nope...The problem is i am adding items within the code and not retrieving it from Sql...Like

Dropdownlist1.items.add("Abc");

Dropdownlist1.items.add("def");

Dropdownlist1.items.add("ghi");

Dropdownlist1.items.add("Others");

These items get added to the drop down.Now when i click on the others dropdown it should allow me to add data in a text box and when i click submit the data in the textbox should be added to dropdown.How can i do this task??

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Hi Reddy,

Winform doesn't contains a control named Dropdownlist, it should be ComboBox contorl.

when i click on the others dropdown it should allow me to add data in a text box 

You can add the data to textbox in ComboBox.SelectedIndexChanged Event handler.

when i click submit the data in the textbox should be added to dropdown.

You can add the data to combobox in Button Click event hander.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]

Friday, November 2, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Can u show it in the code above how can i complete this and i am using a visual webpart where i have a dropdown list option.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 6:30 AM
  • Can u show it in the code above how can i complete this and i am using a visual webpart where i have a dropdown list option.

Hi Reddy,

Are you creating a Visual Web Part project? Base on my knowledge, it a SharePoint project.

If so, I'm afraid this is not supported in Winform forum. Winform is a smart client windows-based applications. For more details about Windows Forms, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8bxxy49h(v=vs.110).aspx

For sharepoint development issue, please create a new thread in SharePoint Products and Technologies forum.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]

Friday, November 2, 2012 9:05 AM