reversing years of hiding on the network? (not being seen :) RRS feed

• Question

• My home network has between 5 and 8 computers running a mixture of XP, Vista, older operating systems and a printer with network card.  It's been up for years and each computer accesses the internet.  Most computers use the free zonealarm.  I have WHS OEM on the way to me.  I am now reading Windows Home Server for Dummies.

My concern is that for years I have done EVERYTHING possible to make sure the computers are not seen, turn off all file and print sharing, turn off all remote access, disable services related to those, anything I can find!  I sure don't remember everything I've done.  So naturally, no computers show up when looking at My Network Places or My Workgroup Computers.

When I install WHS,  I'm guessing there might be problems because of what I did?  If so, is there some kind of checklist I can run through to get the BARE MINIMUM needed for WHS to do it's backups?    I still have no desire to make the non WHS computers be seen by other non WHS computers.  (Yeah, I read in WHS Dummies the drives have to be NTFS and Fat32 will not work.)

Thanks,
    Tom
    (I did try to search FAQ and here.)
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:06 PM

All replies

• There's no list such as you seek, no. But I would recommend you simply install the Windows Home Server connector and see what happens. The connector will support XP and Vista; for Vista it will support both 32 and 64 bit operating systems. It won't support older operating systems or XP x64.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Ken,

Yes I will install and see what happens. <g>

Since computers showing up in Network Neighborhood was mentioned in the WHS for Dummies as a way to verify their visibility, and I know my computers are NOT visible there,  I think I am understandably curious if the computers NOT showing up was going to be an issue.   I'm kinda surprised that nobody yet seems to know if it is or not!

If it is an issue that WHS can't see computers on the network, I'm sure I'm not the first and somebody somewhere would have a list of things to go through. (Including something with Zonealarm.)

Thanks,
    Tom
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:59 PM