Cannot Save To Shared Folder/Mapped Drive With Certain Programs RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on my client machines and am unable to save files from several Adobe programs (CS3: Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) to the shared folders on the WHS whether I navigate using mapped drives or directly through 'network'.

Things I've Done/Notes:

(1) I've already tested and can successfully save over the network to the shared folder of another machine running Win7 Ult, so I'm assuming it must be a permission issue with WHS.

(2) I've verified that my local user name is equal to the user name on WHS, and that I my WHS user has 'Full' permissions.

(3) Disabled offline files on my local machine - read somewhere that this can be problematic to saving to a server for Adobe, though I don't think this is the actual issue.

(4) Reduced the amount of available space on the server to less than 1 TB.  Again I read that this could be an issue for Adobe, but again I don't think this is the issue here since the problem didn't clear up after the free space dropped below 1TB.

(5) I am able successfully run, modify, save, delete files on the WHS using other programs Word, Excel, Acrobat, etc.  It's just these few programs that have a trouble with saving to the server.

What's left to do? Is this a problem others have experienced?

I really need to find a solution.  Thanks.

Friday, April 23, 2010 5:26 PM

All replies

• I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on my client machines and am unable to save files from several Adobe programs (CS3: Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) to the shared folders on the WHS whether I navigate using mapped drives or directly through 'network'.

Things I've Done/Notes:

(1) I've already tested and can successfully save over the network to the shared folder of another machine running Win7 Ult, so I'm assuming it must be a permission issue with WHS.

(2) I've verified that my local user name is equal to the user name on WHS, and that I my WHS user has 'Full' permissions.

(3) Disabled offline files on my local machine - read somewhere that this can be problematic to saving to a server for Adobe, though I don't think this is the actual issue.

(4) Reduced the amount of available space on the server to less than 1 TB.  Again I read that this could be an issue for Adobe, but again I don't think this is the issue here since the problem didn't clear up after the free space dropped below 1TB.

(5) I am able successfully run, modify, save, delete files on the WHS using other programs Word, Excel, Acrobat, etc.  It's just these few programs that have a trouble with saving to the server.

What's left to do? Is this a problem others have experienced?

I really need to find a solution.  Thanks.

Adobe might be getting confused by how WHS handles the storage pool.  In (1) you said you were able to save to your server from a different client.  Did you use one of the same Adobe programs (with the identical version number) from that client?
    Friday, April 23, 2010 5:36 PM
  • I'm sorry.  What I meant to say is that I am able to save from client to client, but not from client to server. I can over to another notebook running Windows 7, but I can't save to the WHS from either when using the Adobe CS3 programs mentioned.
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Some programs have problems if Windows Home Server's storage pool has more free space than the size of the D: partition on the server. See if that's the case with your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 3:50 AM
  • So it appears that my D partition is reporting 278GB total size, but 980GB free.  Clearly a relatively odd configuration

What's the best solution here?

Do I basically have to try to fill up the drive with junk so that the total reported size of the partition exceeds the free space reported?  Will this cause other problems?

Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Did your tests with other applications target the same shared folder?

Workaround would be to save the stuff locally and (if you need it on the shares) set up a scheduled task, which copies changed files maybe hourly to the designated share on the server or run a script, which continuously watches the local folder you are using to store the files and does the same, as soon as a file has changed. (Several of these scripts/tools can be found in the Internet.)

Also it may be worth to report the behavior to Adobe (at least if the used application versions are not outdated), so that they can fix the application.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:14 AM