Change Key without re-installation? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the procedure to change a VLK key to OEM key. Is it possible without re-installing? eg change a corp version to an OEM version of XP.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:00 AM

Answers

• Hello Banger,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. After further analyzation we discovered your product key is a Volume Licensing Key "VLK".  We have seen numerous issues from customers who were provided a Volume License Key (VLK) on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake product key code generator. WGA currently provides checks for these types of product keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid product keys are being identified daily and WGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified product keys and immediately blocks them. 

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP is Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.  Banger if the computer is part of a corporate domain please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp   and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK. If the computer is not a corporate system please uninstall Windows XP Professional.

You have a couple options available. First you should have been given the option to "Get Genuine" when you failed Windows XP validation. Here you may purchase a Windows XP and OGA Kit from Microsoft and become genuine. Next you can take the software back where you made the original purchase and either request a genuine copy of Office or return your monies. Next I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by following the directions @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy. Please locate "Reporting Piracy" in the upper left corner.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:55 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Banger696,

Try this:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Thanks Dan I will give that a go.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Well I got my XP Pro disk today and the above program no worky with the OEM key on the COA.

So I did a fresh install in a virtual machine and it passes validation. But there's something not right about it. I've gone through the Piracy check on the MS site and it seems to pass going through the checks, trouble is the quality of images on the site are not clear enough to make a good judgement.

Things that make me suspicious - no Activation Link on Start menu and when installed it doesn't say I have 30 days to activate. Should OEM software do this like retail?

Second thing is when installing it asks for a Volume Licence key but it says OEM software on the COA, yet it goes through ok.

Third thing is system properties is shows a ...640.... key, again VLK ?

Here's the MGA diags details, comments please

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6BKXT-M8JJ6-RPXGJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5nTiWPHCccmBwT7jn+WSWXJC39g=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-1464517-23721
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {98BAF7C3-F893-4A7D-BA3A-B9557EB80DFC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{98BAF7C3-F893-4A7D-BA3A-B9557EB80DFC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPXGJ</PKey><PID>55274-640-1464517-23721</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1123561945-1935655697-1060284298</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Microsoft Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Virtual Machine</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080002 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060222000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>DC9A3F6F01840039</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 19060:Dell Inc|19060:Fujitsu Siemens Computers|19060:Gateway, Inc|17249:GENUINE C&C INC|19060:Hewlett-Packard Company|19060:HITACHI, Ltd|1904F:Microsoft Corporation|18D30:Microsoft Corporation|19060:Mitsubishi Electric Information Technology Corporation|19060:NEC Corporation|19060:TOSHIBA CORPORATION|19060:Unisys Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Monday, May 11, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Hello Banger696,

You wrote, "Well I got my XP Pro disk today..." and I am curious about where the disc was purchased.

The installation of XP reflected in the mgadiag report you posted shows a Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro done with a currently valid Volume Licensing Key.

However, if the materials you received from your purchase were supposed to be an OEM licensing kit, then you may have encountered a software counterfeiting situation.  Can you post a pic of your CD?

Please note that even though your installation of XP is showing genuine, this only means that the VLK is genuine when it is used in accordance with the VL Agreement in effect between the owning organization and Microsoft.  If your use is not legitimately related to the organization that owns the key, then this is a nongenuine installation of XP.

Another curious result in your mgadiag report is the last section detailing the marker strings embedded in the BIOS of your computer.  It seems your computer is suffering from a multiple personality disorder in that it thinks it is a Dell, a Gateway, a Fujitsu-Siemens, a Mitsubishi, an NEC, a Toshiba, and a Unisys computer all at the same time.  No doubt this BIOS was hacked in order to attempt to circumvent OEM SLP checks embedded in most Recovery CDs from major computer manufacturers.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Further digging in the root of the install reveals this script

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT
    Dim XP_PROD_KEY     XP_PROD_KEY = "xxxxx-PD6MC-6BKXT-M8JJ6-RPXGJ"
        XP_PROD_KEY = Replace(XP_PROD_KEY,"-","") for each Obj in GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}").InstancesOf ("win32_WindowsProductActivation")
        result = Obj.SetProductKey (XP_PROD_KEY) Next
    Searching the product key reveals a lot of torrent hits on google.

here's a pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banger_this/3522157079/

Comments?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Hello Banger696,

If the CD pictured is the CD that laid down the installation reflected in the mgadiag report, personally IMHO I don't think there is too much doubt that the CD is a counterfeit.

Assuming the CD has "For distribution only with a new PC" printed in the hologram in the upper left quadrant, then this CD along with its associated materials (the booklet and the CoA) is trying to pass itself off as a systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer license kit.  But no real systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer CD is going to put down a Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro.

Find the setupp.ini file in the \i386 folder of the CD.  The second section of the file will have a line that contains characters that describe the sales channel of the bits on the CD.  Real OEM CDs will have the characters "OEM" as part of that line.  The line from Volume Licensing CDs will have in the second set of characters the value "270" or values in the range of "640" thru "649."  If you find 270 or 640-649, IME it's an open-and-shut case of piracy.

My suggestion would be to return the materials to the place of purchase for a full refund.

You will want to submit a piracy report to Microsoft.  They may want you to send in the materials.  If they are deemed High Quality counterfeits, you might get them replaced for free by Microsoft.  However, only Microsoft can make that determination.

Monday, May 11, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Here is the info from setupp.ini

[Pid]
    ExtraData=796674736977656D7A622E385892A4
    Pid=55274270

I will be mailing the items to MS.

Yes getting back to your previous post the offending item is running on a Virtual machine maybe that is why it shows all those BIOS strings for testing purposes.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Hello Banger,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. After further analyzation we discovered your product key is a Volume Licensing Key "VLK".  We have seen numerous issues from customers who were provided a Volume License Key (VLK) on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake product key code generator. WGA currently provides checks for these types of product keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid product keys are being identified daily and WGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified product keys and immediately blocks them. 

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP is Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.  Banger if the computer is part of a corporate domain please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp   and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK. If the computer is not a corporate system please uninstall Windows XP Professional.

You have a couple options available. First you should have been given the option to "Get Genuine" when you failed Windows XP validation. Here you may purchase a Windows XP and OGA Kit from Microsoft and become genuine. Next you can take the software back where you made the original purchase and either request a genuine copy of Office or return your monies. Next I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by following the directions @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy. Please locate "Reporting Piracy" in the upper left corner.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:55 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:54 AM
  • Hello Banger696,

Try this:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for the ONLY useful reply to this topic. I used the official tool on the link to successfully change a system that had a VLK key to an OEM key without any issues.

Best Regards!
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:56 AM