Replacing Motherboard, CPU, Memory, etc RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS constantly reboots now when I am important music or phots or a combination of both. I do not know why. I would like to upgrade the hardware in my WHS to something more current. The question is if I rebuild the system and use the 4 existing 1TB hard drives will it be as easy as connecting the existing hard drives to the new hardware and will WHS boot up normally?

Abe
    Monday, November 24, 2008 6:05 PM

Answers

• Migrating WHS to another hardware platform without having to reinstall, may work if:
    • CPU and chipset are still in the same familly.
    • Mass storage drivers are the same (or SATA controller in Bios is set to IDE compatibility)
    • The primary disk is attached as disk 0 to the new controller.
    Proper storage controller drivers and the proper position of first drive are also crucial for getting a server reinstallation offered, if necessary.

Since your system already crashes now, it would be more important to figure out the reason. Otherwise you may simply transfer the issue to the new system.
    Log in to the server desktop and check the event log (in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer). Here you should see some of the error messages.
    If the server is not a headless device, it may also help to disable automatic reboot, so that you get the BSOD (bluescreen) to see and can tell us the error in detail. This can be disabled by right clicking Computer in start menu, selecting Properties, opening the Advanced tab and in clicking Settings in the section Startup and Recovery. Here clear the check box Automatically restart and click OK as often as needed to leave the dialogs.

Now the server should present you a bluescreen, if it doesn't, Whindows lost already all control during crash time. Either broken hardware, bad drivers, weak power supply or such stuff can be the reason.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:44 PM

All replies

• WHS may detect as a new HAL and require reinstall and/or reactivation. For fairly minor changes (memory upgrade, etc), this doesn't seem to be a concern. For major overhauls like the motherboard, it is likely to require reinstall.

You will get to keep all your data by doing a server reinstallation, you just lose your WHS console customizations.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:39 PM
  • How does server reinstallation work and how is all my music, videos, pictures intact?
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Migrating WHS to another hardware platform without having to reinstall, may work if:
    • CPU and chipset are still in the same familly.
    • Mass storage drivers are the same (or SATA controller in Bios is set to IDE compatibility)
    • The primary disk is attached as disk 0 to the new controller.
    Proper storage controller drivers and the proper position of first drive are also crucial for getting a server reinstallation offered, if necessary.

Since your system already crashes now, it would be more important to figure out the reason. Otherwise you may simply transfer the issue to the new system.
    Log in to the server desktop and check the event log (in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer). Here you should see some of the error messages.
    If the server is not a headless device, it may also help to disable automatic reboot, so that you get the BSOD (bluescreen) to see and can tell us the error in detail. This can be disabled by right clicking Computer in start menu, selecting Properties, opening the Advanced tab and in clicking Settings in the section Startup and Recovery. Here clear the check box Automatically restart and click OK as often as needed to leave the dialogs.

Now the server should present you a bluescreen, if it doesn't, Whindows lost already all control during crash time. Either broken hardware, bad drivers, weak power supply or such stuff can be the reason.
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:44 PM
  • 1.) If someone has built a 10 drive WHS rig and the CPU blows up and fries the memory controller, ram, etc are you stating that the 10 disk array with all of its data is lost?

2.) It is a hardware issue or device driver issue with the same error that I can not fix with all updated drivers, etc. I have remote desktop to my WHS and it is always the same error.

Thanks,

Abe

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:56 PM
  • After a motherboard/CPU failure:

You would replace the destroyed components first. Then you might try to boot; as Olaf has said if you're working with sufficiently similar components, you might be able to get far enough to replace useless drivers with the right ones for your new hardware. If that doesn't work, then you perform a server reinstallation, which is a special installation mode that allows you to refresh/replace the operating system without destroying the data in your shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 24, 2008 10:22 PM
  • I had a failure with my system a month ago and just before the system hard drive completely died I tried to do a reinstall but was not presented with that option upon booting from the install disc.

I had to remove all the hard drives, replace the system one and to a fresh install. Then, once the OS was up and running I had to individually add the drives and copy the data over to the new shared folders, emptying the drives before adding them to the pool. It took a long time.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:18 AM
  • I just had something similar happen to me. Old Athlon System blew up on me. I'm planning to replace it with a power efficient Intel Atom based system.

So, from what I understand, if I connect the drives in the right order (that is, Drive 0 on the old system is Drive 0 on the new system, etc) then I might be able to do a reinstall without losing data?

Has anyone been able to successfully do this?
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:19 AM
  • I did that recently with a virtual machine - mounted two disks from a former WHS system and created a fresh virtual disk as boot disk. After some configuration attempts I got the Server Reinstall offered and so access to the Shared folders on my old WHS disks.
    It may help, if the disk controller is configured for IDE compatibility, so that no additional storage drivers are needed initially.
    Olaf
    Friday, December 19, 2008 9:50 AM
  • I have tried all  that you folks have stated in this thread. The server constantly reboots. I even purchased new RAM and replaced after confirming MEMTEST on all passes are good.  I emailed the folks at Microsoft Connect and they stated the engineers will look into it but I have not received a response in months.

1.) Some of you here have stated a server reinstallation will work and my data will not be lost? How is this done?
    2.) Can I replace the motherboard, processor, and memory and then reinstall my hard drives?
    3.) All of my photos have been backed up on Amazon Jungle Disk. Just in case this does not work.

Thanks,

Abe
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:29 PM
  • I have tried all  that you folks have stated in this thread. The server constantly reboots. I even purchased new RAM and replaced after confirming MEMTEST on all passes are good.  I emailed the folks at Microsoft Connect and they stated the engineers will look into it but I have not received a response in months.

1.) Some of you here have stated a server reinstallation will work and my data will not be lost? How is this done?

See FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS?  (Even though this isn't your problem, the solution is the same.)

2.) Can I replace the motherboard, processor, and memory and then reinstall my hard drives?

That should work, assuming you get your primary hard drive connected in such a way that WHS sees it first (otherwise, you probably won't get Server Reinstallation as an option).  NOTE:  Upgrading your mobo for any reason other than complete hardware failure requires a new OEM license of WHS (since the license is tied to the mobo).   When you try to activate it, MS can tell you that you need a new license for it.  Having said that, other users have been able to activate again without issue.

3.) All of my photos have been backed up on Amazon Jungle Disk. Just in case this does not work.

Thanks,

Abe

Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:58 PM
  • 1.) If I need a new license do I have to purchase another copy of WHS?

2.) How do I make sure that the primary hard drive out of the four drives I have is the primary?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:01 PM
  • 1.) If I need a new license do I have to purchase another copy of WHS?

In theory, yes.  That's one of the disadvantages of all OEM licenses (whether it's WHS or not).  But as I said, other WHS users have reported that they were able to upgrade their mobo without issue.

2.) How do I make sure that the primary hard drive out of the four drives I have is the primary?
    The best way would be to connect each of them up to another computer and see what's on them.  The primary drive will have 2 partitions (one of which will have a Windows folder), the rest will have 1.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Ok I will give this a shot.

1.) When I reinstall the hardware do I just boot with the WHS disk in the drive?
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Ok I will give this a shot.

1.) When I reinstall the hardware do I just boot with the WHS disk in the drive?

Yes, you need to boot from the DVD.  From there, follow the link I referred you to earlier.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 4:41 AM
  • Thanks for your help. I will replace the hardware and report back.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:01 PM