Dual Boot RRS feed

• Question

• Although it is not a good idea to have a dual booting environment, but still asking you a question about dual boot.

What server operating systems can be dual booted with WHS.

Thanks

Sunday, April 29, 2007 12:10 PM

Answers

• Because WHS needs full control over the drives allocated to it, you really can't configure it to dual boot with another OS. Not only would it be an unsupported configuration, I expect that it probably just wouldn't work well.

What you can do is install WHS as a Virtual PC. That seems very workable.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 6:37 PM

All replies

• I would think that anything that can dual boot with W2K3 and read NTFS. Although you probably have to have a 2nd drive not added to the storage pool and go thru the normal prep/troubleshooting when you install 2nd os.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 4:23 PM
  • Because WHS needs full control over the drives allocated to it, you really can't configure it to dual boot with another OS. Not only would it be an unsupported configuration, I expect that it probably just wouldn't work well.

What you can do is install WHS as a Virtual PC. That seems very workable.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 6:37 PM
  • All though this is far from ideal...

A way you MAY be able to get around it is to do what I have done with XP.

Installed XP as normal on a hard drive.

Unplug that hard drive make your slav hdd master.

Install WHS on that new MASTER hdd.

Once all done. Go back into your case plug back in your old hard drive make it master again alter the jumper settings on the WHS HDD to make it slave.

In bios put the boot order how you want it.

I have WHS on slave so under hear I have

CD/DVD
    HDD1 (WHS)
    HDD0 (XP)

Therefore you can just select which HDD in the bios you want to boot from. Obviously you cant merge the HDD in WHS but you can at least see and access them in My computer.

Sorry if this doesnt make much sense I'm finding it quite hard to explain...

Best wishes,

Adam

Sunday, April 29, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Hmm... are you using a boot mgr to hide WHS from XP? If not, you're not having a problem with XP hosing up WHS's shadow copies?
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 10:24 PM
  • thanks for ur replies guys..

i got 180 days versions of win server 2003 and xp at the moment

i ll manually try to see what dual boots and what doesnt

and post the results here

Monday, April 30, 2007 10:18 AM
  •  Lang Murphy wrote:
    Hmm... are you using a boot mgr to hide WHS from XP? If not, you're not having a problem with XP hosing up WHS's shadow copies?

Not sure what you mean? Sorry i'm only an a level student who doesnt even do computing...

I assume your on about that boot screen you get when you have two copies of xp on the same box?

I guess if you install xp after WHS it may recognise it and incorporate them into the boot screen.

I also know (from accidently deleting my boot files previously!) that you can rebuild them through dos so this may be another option but really I don't have time to go round hunting for the tutorial so please if you find one post it in here.

Adam
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:59 PM
  • What I'm talking about is this: (and let me add the caveat that while I think I'm getting the high level view right, I may not be 100% on mark with the "how" of what is occurring in the dual boot scenario.)

In Vista, which uses Shadow Volumes also, if you set up a dual boot system with XP, when you boot into XP, XP touches Vista's shadow volumes in such a way that when you boot back into Vista, Vista considers the shadow volumes/copies corrupt and deletes them all. I have no idea if WHS would behave in the same manner in a dual boot scenario with XP but would have to assume so.

So... if I'm right... then all your backups on WHS would most likely be deleted and you'd be up the creek without a paddle when it came time to try and restore a backup. (That's just a SWAG.) And... who knows how dual booting might impact WHS shadow volumes in other ways.

Ultimately, I think it's -not- a good idea to set up a server in a dual boot scenario.

Lang

Monday, April 30, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Of course its not meant to be run like that! I don't understand this shadow volume terminology but I am sure you can come to no harm if you just pull disable that HDD In the bios or even just pull the power cable out of that HDD?

I just at wanted to take WHS for a test drive and so I never really had any intentions of getting my hands dirty (I've used Allway sync and a shared hard drive for some years now and that does the job I require, the only thing WHS had which was of use to me is the remote access.) Sure I love the features of WHS and could benefit form them but it would be far far better if I ran it off a seperate base unit.

Bit off topic but what are your thoughts on WHS only being available when bundled with a server itself? (or does this no longer stand?).

Regards,

Adam

Friday, May 4, 2007 11:07 AM