Money login problems RRS feed

• Question

• Due to various computer disasters, and not having accessed money for sometime, a friend of mine is having trouble accessing his old files. I am trying to help him out so he is in real trouble now.

He has a hotmail account so therfore should be able to login to Windows live ID. When we tried to login to Windows live ID thru Money it didn't recognise the password. We decided to get a new password but it still didn't recognise it even tho the hotmail account worked on the new password.

All we are left with from his previous money backups is a file called ppp.m12.

I have tried downloading the USMoneyBizSunset.exe file, and then running the Moneyplus file that this creates, but when I want to access the ppp.m12 file it still tries to take me thru the enter password screen which we can't get to work.

What is the best way for us to either recall the Money files from Windows, or, alternatively restore the ppp.m12 backup file?

Any help appreciated

Rustyyy

Monday, October 17, 2011 12:26 AM

All replies

• Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, Click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

Since you already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in
    effect at the time that you saved that Money file-- not what you tried to change your LiveID to.

Remove your LiveID.  To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to
    remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also
    see File->PasswordManager.

Monday, October 17, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Cal,

Disconnect - done

sign in direct - done

used original password - done

remove live ID - done

However, after opening money (now using Money Home and Business 17.0.150.3817 - downloaded as mentioned above) and picking File>restore then selecting ppp.m12 file, I cannot open it because it is from a different version of Money.

The same thing happens when I try to Repair an existing money file. It creates a repaired file, but I cannot access it because it was created in a different version. the repaired file is a ppp.M14

any ideas?

Rustyyy

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:21 PM
  • This would suggest that your Money 2004 was not a US or Canadian version. In that case, you will need to use Money 2005 or 2005 for the appropriate country. See the first post on this forum for a download link.

Once you install the Money 2005 and bring in your *.m12 file, you could do a QIF export. Then the QIF files could be imported into  a US version if you found that to be desireable.

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Thanks cal, downloaded the english version, and it worked fine. thanks again for your help
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

I am having similar problems with MS Money 2007 (I think it is called Deluxe). I tried to disconnect the ethernet cable and open the mny file without internet access, but I am still getiing a "wrong password" message

Please, help!

Thanks,
    Sasha

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Hi Cal,

Thank you for your quick response, unfortunately it didn't help.

I checked, I am disconnected from internet and my router (no IP address at the moment); I connect using "email address", the option of "I want to sign directly" is checked, still I get the message "The e-mail address or password is incorrect please type again".

Thanks,
    Sasha

Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:19 AM
  • So you are using a LiveID rather than a conventional password. I would have expected a choice to sign in offline, rather than have a message with the word "directly".

1. You say no IP. Normally Windows will assign an IP address in the form of 169.254.*.* when it cannot get a regular IP. Maybe you are translating that for me. On the other hand, is it possible your computer has two internet connections? Maybe wire and WiFi both? Or if you are using WiFi to reach your router, and you turned that off, maybe you are getting a connection through your neighbor's WiFi. ipconfig is a command window command that can tell you about your IP address.

2. Did you attempt to change the password or email address? You must use the credentials in effect when the file was saved.

3. Is it possible that you are mis-remembering one of the components of the LiveID? Maybe you wrote your credentials down, so you might want to check.

4. You may have a problem with your file. Try restoring your newest and second-newest backup. Do not restore using the remembered filename, but instead Browse to your Documents folder. Choose a new name for the restored file.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Hi Cal,

1. No IP is because I disconnected computer from router (in case you're questioning how I am typing on this forum, I am doing it from another computer)

2. Yes, that's what I am using, they didn't change and I can still access hotmail (again, from another computer connected to the internet)

3. Not really - haven't changed them for a while

4. The problem with backups (doesn't matter first, second or third backup) is that at the end of backup restore I am requested to provide user/pwd and I get a message that I must be connected to Internet to complete the restore. Of course, each time I am trying I am choosing a new name for the mny file.

Thanks,
    Sasha

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:15 AM
  • I wish I had a test file with a LiveID on it to experiment with.

Humor me. If you enter ipconfig in a command window, what do you get? You could copy and paste from the command window into your post. To copy from a command window, enable "quick edit mode" for the command window. http://tweaks.com/windows/36732/command-prompt-quick-edit-mode/ tells how.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Hi Cal,

I solved the problem by opening the file from my friend's MS Money 2007 (it was handy!). I then removed the live authentication and could open it on my PC.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sasha

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:01 AM
  • I solved the problem by opening the file from my friend's MS Money 2007 (it was handy!). I then removed the live authentication and could open it on my PC.

Super!

Make an extra  backup. Also rembember hard drives fail. Writing your scheduled backups to a USB flash drive is a good idea.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:31 AM