Install Freezes RRS feed

• Question

• Have a MS WHS install disk and can get the process all the way to "Finalizing the Installation" then the process stops and the system appears frozen.  I have no mouse or keyboard control at this time.  I try a Re-Install but get the same result.  I ha a Gigabyte MB with nVidia3 hardware and have read a couple of threads about instability with that.  Any ideas about how I could get past this spot?  If I shut down and reboot I don't get past the startup window. 
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:33 PM

Answers

• Well I tried another NIC and no joy.  Just froze on the Powercfg.exe program.  I found another MB laying around and tried it and all loaded as expected.  Guess it can be attributed to the nVidia chipset issues.  Thanks for the help.
    • Marked as answer by Bsqrd Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:57 AM

All replies

• Do you keep the DVD in during the entire install process? Not sure what it could be, but does Windows XP install on this system?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:40 AM
  • My install stayed at that point for a little while, not appearing to do anything, but finished the install. How long are you waiting?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:55 AM
  • Have a MS WHS install disk and can get the process all the way to "Finalizing the Installation" then the process stops and the system appears frozen.  I have no mouse or keyboard control at this time.  I try a Re-Install but get the same result.  I ha a Gigabyte MB with nVidia3 hardware and have read a couple of threads about instability with that.  Any ideas about how I could get past this spot?  If I shut down and reboot I don't get past the startup window. 

That is normal during Server Reinstallation.  The last step re-integrates the secondary drives (by creating tombstones for each file on each secondary drive).  The process can take quite a while and it appears to be frozen, but it's not.  If the hard drives are running, best thing to do is leave it alone and let it do its job.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:36 AM
  • I keep the DVD in the whole time.  It never says when to remove it.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Did your mouse stop working during this time?  That's my indication that things have stopped.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Okay I have played around some more with the install and it appears to hang during finalizing setup when net.exe is executed in a cmd prompt window.  Could it be the network card driver is causing it to hang?  How can I load the new network driver prior to loading?
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Okay I have played around some more with the install and it appears to hang during finalizing setup when net.exe is executed in a cmd prompt window.  Could it be the network card driver is causing it to hang?  How can I load the new network driver prior to loading?

Are you doing a Server Reinstallation or a New Installation?
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:05 PM
  • I have tried both and it seems hang at the same point.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:39 PM
  • I have tried both and it seems hang at the same point.

Then it must be a hardware issue.  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each hard drive in your server?
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 2:48 PM
  • WHS does a chkdsk during the install.  I think it might be a NIC issue.   I tried installing XP and it did not see the NIC either so thats why I suspect it.  I'm going to get one thats WIN Server compatible and try that.  Failing that I'll need a new MB.  Anyone know of any compatible ones that are cheap?  Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. 
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Well I tried another NIC and no joy.  Just froze on the Powercfg.exe program.  I found another MB laying around and tried it and all loaded as expected.  Guess it can be attributed to the nVidia chipset issues.  Thanks for the help.
    • Marked as answer by Bsqrd Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:57 AM