Without Core Limitation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone
    I want to know is there any way to execute a job without any core limitation. When I set min core count = 0, HPC validation throws this exception (Job template validation failed: The value of property MinCores is out of range.  Update the job and try again.)
    I have this situation, for example:
    1. My cluster have 4 nodes, each node has 4 cores 
    2. I have 100 jobs 

I submitted all jobs but only 16 jobs go to executing state, the others state is queued. 
    Problem: I want all jobs to go on executing state. I agree that we will have slowly working cluster but in user side I can show some progress instead of showing to user that their jobs are not executing and they should wait because there are not enough resources. 

Question: Is there any way to execute job without any core limitation?
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:48 AM

Answers

• There are two problems here:

1. You're not allowed to submit a job with minimum cores larger than the cluster available cores. This limit can be removed with a setting from a recent Update 3 QFE:

Set-HPCClusterProperty -DisableResourceValidation $newValue

2. You can oversubscribe the system with more cores as you needed so that you have more jobs in running state, for example, if you want 100 jobs each asking 1 core, you can oversubscribe your node to 25 cores from 4 cores.

Qiufang Shi

• Marked as answer by Artem Azaryan Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:43 AM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:18 AM