Can I restrict user access to WHS Console? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. I just got my windows home server and I'm still getting to grips with it, so forgive me if this turns out to be a stupid question.

When I add a client to the WHS network by running the client connection program, it asks me for the administrator password. Fine. But then it seems that the new client gets administrator access to the server via the console. This makes any user-level restrictions pointless, as the user just fires up the console and removes or changes the restrictions.

I think it would be useful for the users to have some restricted access so they can sort out any problems particularly affecting them, back up their computer on demand and so on, but I want to hide stuff like user profiles and anything that could damage the server. Is this possible?

Thanks

Vaughan 
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:32 AM

Answers

• A normal user can NOT open the console or peform adminstrative tasks without entering the administrator password. It's just for that reason you need to enter the administator password during setup of the connector software and configuaration of backups. If you keep the admin password to yourself alls should be fine.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:36 AM
  • And of course, do not tick the option to store the password in the console on other PCs.
    Btw. the ability to allow users limited access to restore data from their PCs has been requested on Connect in the past. So if you are interested in such proposals, register on Connect and vote for those.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Vaughan_D Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Unfortunately the only way, to run a program not using the console, would be using a Remote Desktop connection, which is again unsupported (since tasks done directly on the desktop of WHS may under circumstances break Windows Home Server components), according to the EULA only allowed for Administrative purposes and in it's default configuration not working for normal user accounts.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Vaughan_D Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:41 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:04 PM

All replies

• A normal user can NOT open the console or peform adminstrative tasks without entering the administrator password. It's just for that reason you need to enter the administator password during setup of the connector software and configuaration of backups. If you keep the admin password to yourself alls should be fine.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:36 AM
  • And of course, do not tick the option to store the password in the console on other PCs.
    Btw. the ability to allow users limited access to restore data from their PCs has been requested on Connect in the past. So if you are interested in such proposals, register on Connect and vote for those.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Vaughan_D Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:42 AM
  • OK, I guess I understand that. Thanks.

This means that there is no way for an ordinary user to fix their own server-related problems (except for a very limited number of tasks - starting a backup, deleting a stuck document from the print spooler - that kind of thing).  Other than through the console, is there any other way for a user to be allowed to run a program on the server? 

Oh, and thanks for the welcome Olaf. 
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Unfortunately the only way, to run a program not using the console, would be using a Remote Desktop connection, which is again unsupported (since tasks done directly on the desktop of WHS may under circumstances break Windows Home Server components), according to the EULA only allowed for Administrative purposes and in it's default configuration not working for normal user accounts.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Vaughan_D Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:41 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Thanks for the info Olaf. It is a bit disappointing, but I suppose I can understand the reasons why.

Regards

Vaughan
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:43 AM