Do I need desktop search on my Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I remove desktop search -- no one will use this machine as a console.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:04 PM

Answers

• Remote access file search is enabled through desktop search engine. So you might want to leave it there for faster search results while connecting remotely. It is configured to index only the shared folders.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:39 PM

All replies

• Remote access file search is enabled through desktop search engine. So you might want to leave it there for faster search results while connecting remotely. It is configured to index only the shared folders.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:39 PM
  • Please can you just confirm I understand this scenario before I remove search?

Remote access file search would only be used when I connect to the HomeServer from somewhere outside of my house over the Internet and decide to search for a file in the shared folders stored on the Home Server storage.

As all the client PCs have their own index of content stored locally and in shared folders/drives etc,  I am happy to give this up to simplify the server.

David

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:59 PM
  • Yes, the client machines each will be having their own index.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 12:28 AM
  • I believe when you're talking about remote access file search - the remote access means anything other the local console to the server.  i.e. If on my Vista machine, I browse to my WHS box - when I do a search on the shares, the results come back very fast because Vista is plugging into the WDS index on the WHS.  It's cool to have this back, when I would use WDS in XP, I had it index all the files on my server and through WDS I could just type the first words or even letters to a song and it would pop up in the results and I could be listening in seconds. 

This is now more of a reality again with Vista & WHS - anyone know to search a network share like the through the Vista Start Menu?

If this the functionality MS is providing in WHS, I don't see a real reason for disabling it - it's part of the server - I mean this is a beta test, but why remove functionality?

michaeltw

Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:00 AM