Jessep Bangham - please contact me regarding Power Pack 1 and Disk Management RRS feed

Answers

• Quoted from our website (http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/):

WHS Disk Management and Power Pack 1 RC4

Disk Management support for WHS PP1 RC4 is currently under development. If you are testing PP1, please continue to use Disk Management.

The only known issues with Disk Management 1.0.7.3 and PP1 relate to adding and removing disks from the storage pool:

• Removing a disk appears to freeze the removal wizard. Disk removal completes successfully as normal, and the wizard finishes as expected.
    • PP1 introduces a new type of storage pool disk (to be a target for server share backups). You currently cannot add this type of disk using the Disk Management wizard.
    • The new PP1 server backup storage pool disk shows up as "Attention Required" in Disk Management.

These issues will be addressed in the release of Disk Management that officially supports Power Pack 1.

If you encounter any issues not listed above, please contact me using the email address provided below or post on the We Got Served forums.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:43 AM
  • Thanks Philip.

There's no way that renaming a disk would cause any issues for WHS - I don't change any data. The disk PNPDeviceID and new "name" are stored in an XML file and retrieved later to display in my Add-In.

I believe the drive renamer add-in for the HP units does change registry values, but I don't.

I've made contact with MS now, and I'm working with them.

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:09 PM

All replies

• Quoted from our website (http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/):

WHS Disk Management and Power Pack 1 RC4

Disk Management support for WHS PP1 RC4 is currently under development. If you are testing PP1, please continue to use Disk Management.

The only known issues with Disk Management 1.0.7.3 and PP1 relate to adding and removing disks from the storage pool:

• Removing a disk appears to freeze the removal wizard. Disk removal completes successfully as normal, and the wizard finishes as expected.
    • PP1 introduces a new type of storage pool disk (to be a target for server share backups). You currently cannot add this type of disk using the Disk Management wizard.
    • The new PP1 server backup storage pool disk shows up as "Attention Required" in Disk Management.

These issues will be addressed in the release of Disk Management that officially supports Power Pack 1.

If you encounter any issues not listed above, please contact me using the email address provided below or post on the We Got Served forums.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:43 AM
  •  

Some people may have seen the post on MSWHS regarding reported issues using the Disk Management add-in wth PP1

- according to the blog owner this came from a post by Jessep Bangham from Microsoft on an WHS MVP forum.

It's interesting that there have not been reports of any significant issues with this add-in on sites like www.wegotserved.co.uk or these forums and many people are reporting that it's working ok with PP1

Given the writer of the add-in, Sam Wood, has confirmed that Microsoft have not been in touch with him (despite the post stating they had) could a Microsoft representative (Jessep Bangham preferably) explain the background to / basis for this warning and if it is really justified why it wouldn't have been posted in these forums?

Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Im not sure where Philip got his information but I have sent him an email asking him to look at this thread and respond.

Just one thing for everyone to remember - PP1 is currently in Beta, as is the Disk Management Add-in (its great, I love it by the way) so running two lots of beta software could cause problems or may not work as expected, but personally I have yet to experience any.

Keep up the great work Sam :-)

Andrew

Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:01 AM
  • Andrew

A correction to your comment that this add-in is in beta - the Disk Management add-in latest version is 1.0.7.3 - it is a released product.

Sam has a clear statement on his www site and the support forum for the add-in on WGS forums about the compatibility and known issues with PP1 - given PP1 is beta and the add-in's written by the community are all relatively new then surely Microsoft would want as much compatibilty testing done as possible?

I can report that the Disk Management add-in is one of the most popular add-ins amongst WGS members and is ranked very highly by those using it in our "rate the add-ins" poll - so it would make sense for it to be tested as part of the PP1 beta test.

There is a private beta of a futire release of the add-in being run seperately with a limited number of users

Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:43 AM
  •  Bodogbodog wrote:

Andrew

A correction to your comment that this add-in is in beta - the Disk Management add-in latest version is 1.0.7.3 - it is a released product.

Sam has a clear statement on his www site and the support forum for the add-in on WGS forums about the compatibility and known issues with PP1 - given PP1 is beta and the add-in's written by the community are all relatively new then surely Microsoft would want as much compatibilty testing done as possible?

I can report that the Disk Management add-in is one of the most popular add-ins amongst WGS members and is ranked very highly by those using it in our "rate the add-ins" poll - so it would make sense for it to be tested as part of the PP1 beta test.

There is a private beta of a futire release of the add-in being run seperately with a limited number of users

Actually according to their website it says:

Latest version: 1.0.7.3

Remember that this Add-In is beta, and is still in development.

As I said, Im using it, I think its great, and I havent had any problems, I just wanted to point out that running mulitple beta software installations could cause unexpected issues :-)

Andrew

Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:47 AM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

I stand corrected

I guess it could be said that most software is in "beta" - constantly!

Sunday, June 22, 2008 10:39 AM
  •  Bodogbodog wrote:
     Andrew Edney wrote:

I stand corrected

I guess it could be said that most software is in "beta" - constantly!

LOL! :-)

Andrew

Sunday, June 22, 2008 10:41 AM
  • Hi Guys,

The item was published in the Windows Home Server newsgroup for MVP's by a Microsoft employee.

"It has recently come to our attention
    that the Disk Management add-in may have compatibility issues with
    Power Pack 1.  The Windows Home Server partner team  is working with
    the add-in author to identify and resolve the potential compatibility
    issue.

Please refrain from using this add-in in conjunction with Power Pack

Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

Hope this helps those of you asking where the info came from. I will follow this up with the person responsible for the post and update here.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Hi All,

The reply I have received, is the following:

We’ve seen instances of using the Disk Management Add-in to “remove”
    or “rename” a disk causing drives to no longer show up in storage.
    Since this can have a severe impact on a Home Server we wanted to let
    people know as soon as possible.

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Thanks Philip.

There's no way that renaming a disk would cause any issues for WHS - I don't change any data. The disk PNPDeviceID and new "name" are stored in an XML file and retrieved later to display in my Add-In.

I believe the drive renamer add-in for the HP units does change registry values, but I don't.

I've made contact with MS now, and I'm working with them.

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:09 PM